Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6

Registering Your Car Under California – SB100

Below is a copy of a .PDF document I found off the net.
    The information is correct but it does need a little updating. So here is my 2 cents to add to his story. One big thing that has changed since the introduction of SB100 is with the dreaded SMOG Referee. Not only are they looking at just the SMOG of the car they are now going further then just the emissions of your car.

They are also looking at safety item.

#1: If you do not have the windshield and the wipers in place, you will fail.

#2: If you are missing any lights, you will fail.

#3: If the PVC system is not a "Closed" system, you will fail. Meaning you must have a hose that runs from the air cleaner above the carb or throttle body to the valve cover and one more that runs from the PCV valve located in the valve cover to the correct place on the carb or the throttle body. An open system or even a semi-open system you will fail.

#4: If you have the certificate of sequence number like I do then you may not need to take it off the trailer to be run on the dyno.

#5: AND THE BIG CHANGE. After passing the inspection you will not be given the exemption sticker on the spot like the way it was done before. After the inspection they will take pictures of your car. Front, back, odometer, VIN number, sides, and under the hood. Next they take copies of your paperwork including the statement of construction you filled out at the DMV. All of that including the pictures are sent off to a district manager of the BAR. From there it gets sent back to the DMV for review, (what ever that is). Then DMV will send it back to the BAR regional manager. Then down to the district manager who will call you at some point to let you know weather or not your car even qualifies for SB100. If they say yes, then you will need to make another appointment with the SMOG referee to take the car back to them. If they say NO you don't qualify under the AB100 law then all of your work and time was for nothing and you will be forced to go another direction. But if you do get the green light from the BAR then you will take your car back to them and they will issue the exemption sticker and then enter all the information into the BAR computer system, as the referee is the only person that can add information into there data base. Once that is done you are nearly ready to go back to the DMV. Before heading off to the DMV stop by a local place that has a truck scale and a certified weighmaster. Get your car weighed. They will want the VIN number and other information from your registration paperwork. If you don't get a weight on the car from a weighmaster the DMV will send you over to get one, so beat them to the punch and have one ready when you go back. So now you should have all the paperwork you need and be ready to head back to the DMV. Please read below to help you better under stand how this ties into the SB100 article.
    Good luck to you. Just be persistent and you can get it done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From The Bench Dave Martin
    Registering you Kit Car – SB100
    To most, registering your kit car is probably the most frightening thing you can think of short of
    taxes. In California, all new construction vehicles are registered as "Specialty Constructed Vehicles"
    (SPCNS) which includes hand built, kit cars and replicas built for personal use (see DMV definition at
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc580.htm ). Registering your car is not that difficult but
    the key for those of us with performance in mind is in the classifying of your vehicle by the Bureau
    of Automotive Repair (BAR) with regard to the smog requirements. Fifteen years ago when I
    registered my last car, a Cobra, the smog requirement was set by the State BAR Referee based on
    the year of the motor which for me at the time was a 1969 Ford 429ci. With that year motor I had
    to meet all requirements for 1969 which included passing the sniffer and a visual inspection to make
    sure all equipment pertinent to that year motor was in place. For 1969 it was basically detuning the
    motors timing and installing the factory air cleaner with the hot air tube. I purposely didn’t build the
    motor "hot" so I had no problem doing this every other year and being perfectly legal while also
    enjoying my ride. Of course this doesn’t work with "hot" motors or most of the crate motors from
    today’s performance builders like Smeding, Rousch, or any of the Car Manufacturers. Back then it
    was common to "skirt" the law and the number of ways to do that could be a book in itself, with
    some as radical as having a spare motor that was installed every two years just to pass smog!
    All of that changed with the passing of Senate Bill 100 in 2001. With SB100, owners could now apply
    for one of 500 SPCNS Certificate of Sequence issued yearly which would allow the owner to "smog"
    classify their vehicle based on either the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle
    model-year as represented by the replica year. One off customs that cannot adequately be
    classified as above will be assigned a 1960 year designation (
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm
    ). A note though… on a given year the state of California does not need to issue the total of 500
    Certificates allowed in the bill. The number can be anywhere from 0 to 500 and they are usually all
    issued by noon on the first business day of the year. Having an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence does
    not alter the normal registration process – it only affects the assigning of a smog designation.
    SPCNS Certificate of Sequences can also be used by existing registered cars to change their smog
    status. So a Meyer’s Manx registered in 1984 could re-apply with a Sequence number and change
    their smog designation today, so for those people swapping engines every two years to pass smog it
    would make their life so much easier.
    Ok, hopefully you’ve been saving all the receipts for the major components of your car AND
    received a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin from the maker of the kit you bought. The
    registration process starts on the first business day of the year in which you expect to have your car
    drivable. I didn’t say 100% complete as our cars never seem to get there but drivable.
    On the first business day of the New Year that the Department of Motor Vehicles is open you will
    need to be there to secure one of the precious SPCNS Certificate of Sequence numbers. They are
    assigned on a first come, first served basis and all come out of Sacramento. The personnel at you
    particular DMV call to Sacramento to secure the numbers so the idea is to be there with all your
    paperwork first. I actually was at the DMV at 4:30AM on January 2nd to await the doors opening at
    9am. Needless to say I was first in line. There were six other people with me that morning with the
    last guy arriving at 8am, and he got his number with no problem so use your best judgment on when
    to get there.
    Be prepared! You will absolutely need the following items for your trip to the DMV.
    1. You will need the following receipts from your build.
    a. For the Kit which hopefully included the frame and body (otherwise you’ll need
    separate receipts for each)
    b. The Motor. If from a private party than a Bill of Sale with the persons address and
    phone number.
    c. The transmission
    d. An idea of the base value of the car – the DMV uses this for determining the yearly
    registration fee and in some cases the state tax to charge you if you bought it out of
    state (this later part seems to be random based on who at DMV does your paperwork
    or possibly some other variable I don’t know about). I brought my expandaflex file
    with all my receipts and a spreadsheet that totaled the major stuff. The DMV loves
    paperwork. If you try to lowball them on this they will catch you eventually – See
    Boyd Coddington vrs the State of California problems.
    2. A filled out "Application for Title or Registration" – Form DMV REG 343
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.htm
    3. A filled out "Statement of Construction" – Form DMV REG 5036
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5036.htm
    4. Manufacturers Certificate of Origin
    If you’re there with everything filled out and ready it goes fairly quick. The DMV personnel will
    initiate a registration for your vehicle giving it an identity in the database. They will assign the
    Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) probably based on the kit’s serial number – this might get
    changed by the Highway Patrol later. You will be asked to take a seat – don’t worry; your name
    didn’t come up on a "wanted" list or anything – while the clerk starts calling Sacramento to obtain
    your SB100 number. They will collect the first year’s registration fee based on the value of the car
    that you give them plus the normal DMV fees and will then give you final instructions to complete
    the registration process along with a temporary operating permit. You’re home free once you have
    the number and you have the entire year to complete the registration process. The official SPCNS
    Certificate of Sequence comes in the mail about two to three weeks later – guard it with your life!
    To complete the registration process you will need to survive the three "trials of mechanism" which
    will test your will. More on that next time as you need to start figuring out what time to get up on
    January 2nd for the immediate future.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, if you read this and think all of the certificate of sequence number are gone on the first day of the year you are may be in luck. It has taken time but now they are available until July. But this can vary from year to year depending on how many people apply for the exemption. I was able to get mine in April. At that time there was 178 out of the 500 left. It took some doing but there is 1 person that is in charge of them and knows how many are left. He is located in Sacramento. Thats about all I can tell you, but you can call them and ask them to find out how many are left. They will find the person in charge of the certificate of sequence numbers and that person will call you back in a day or two with the amount that are left.
    The place you will find the information is with the Chief of the Registration Policy and Automation Branch in the DMV.
    Last edited by camoit; 12-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com