Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neat little hp/tq increase at less than $1.00 cost!

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Neat little hp/tq increase at less than $1.00 cost!

Just did this on my truck and will advance timing a couple degrees to use it to max benefit... Remove (or cut) the heater lines into and from the intake, so it runs at ambient instead of whatever temp your vehicle is running, REALLY noticeable on cool crisp days (or cold even better)! I cut the small 90 degree one from t'stat first, then the one up from the heater into cab fitting, plugged both, and voila, def a bit more pep after warming the fluids up...! Good for bang/buck ratio!

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    By intake do you mean going to the throttle body?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The only problem with this is if you live in snow country the manifold will freeze up and it will run like crap when that happens. My VW would do that all the time. It would freeze from the carb to the heads. Then I would stop and watch as it unfrosted.

The vaporization of fuel, combined with the expansion of air as it flows through the carburetor, causes a sudden cooling of the mixture. The temperature of the air passing through the carburetor may drop significantly within a fraction of a second. Water vapor in the air is “squeezed out” by this cooling and, if the temperature in the carburetor reaches 0° C (32° F) or below, the moisture will be deposited as frost or ice inside the carburetor passages. Even a slight accumulation of this deposit will reduce power and may lead to complete engine failure, particularly when the throttle is partly or fully closed.

177695.jpg fig2-8.jpg
    Last edited by camoit; 08-28-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    He's from Alabama, thinks "snow" comes from Columbia via Miami:-) give him time :-)

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    OK I'm a little confused......pics would be nice.

I have an ideal......buttt..........

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    He's from Alabama, thinks "snow" comes from Columbia via Miami:-) give him time :-)
    No,,, everyone knows snow is only made by FordBushi
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Summer in Canada= 2 bad weeks of skiing or Hockey or 2 good weeks of golf

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    How would a blocked intake cause "complete engine failure", and WTF is THAT? DOH, it will MELT if ice closed off intake! hehe If carbed, it would run richer! I have driven MY (then 88, 89, 90, and v6 91 MMAx THIS WAY to snow skiing EVERY YEAR from Christmas to NYear, (THATS E_V_E_R_Y year!! I owned them, with NO issues EVER! except more power and gas mileage... SO obviously, I pissed some asshole MAFIA on here off. AS usual. This works! Call (or read ANY expert person (except LSR Mike) apparently, ie Corky Bell, Gale Banks, etc, and GET THEIR opinion, advice! Jeez! Great site, Lots of GREAT info, just a "mafia" controlling it..Can I get a donation refund, and disappear?

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Cold air intake is NOT cold, IF the intake runners and TB are 195 degrees or whatever water/coolant temp is (being piped through mani. I pissed someone off (though I said I didn't mean to and apologized ON HERE)... Oh well, better now than when more invested;}..Disconnect water input, and see for yourself, don't take MY word for it! Oh, look on My 350 z site for same post (and responses NONE saying this BS), or Club Frontier (for Nissan frontiers, where we did this, tested results, then installed 10 degree cooler 350 z thermostats, and tuned for even MORE power..

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I ASSUME you got icing BS off aviation site..well, its at 10000 ft altitude PLUS, and is AIRCOOLED engine! Waay different to underhood environment..I call BS on LSR MIKE! because I guarantee he reduced intake and underhood air temps, OR someone else did, and that's why he no longer has LSR! BTW I built HP aircraft engines when I was young, so I KNOW icing (and when there cannot be any). Ask poster(s) to show ambient temp needed for icing, (and humidity), and air temps...AIN'T happening, in a car/truck at sea level! (not in my lifetime! so far!)

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Camoit, your illustration shows a 1950's ford truck 1 barrel carb to a "log" intake & exhaust. The exhaust manifold is IN BETWEEN the intake runners!! Those runners would be waaay hotter than the 190 thermostat controlled temps, INSURING no way to ice..IMHO

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yes, disconnect hoses from heater core input (at firewall to intake) and from intake to thermostat housing.. Fell it with your hand, after plugging/disconnecting it...

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    No,,, everyone knows snow is only made by FordBushi

SNOW? I bet he makes that Columbian snow too!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
    How would a blocked intake cause "complete engine failure", and WTF is THAT? DOH, it will MELT if ice closed off intake! hehe If carbed, it would run richer! I have driven MY (then 88, 89, 90, and v6 91 MMAx THIS WAY to snow skiing EVERY YEAR from Christmas to NYear, (THATS E_V_E_R_Y year!! I owned them, with NO issues EVER! except more power and gas mileage... SO obviously, I pissed some asshole MAFIA on here off. AS usual. This works! Call (or read ANY expert person (except LSR Mike) apparently, ie Corky Bell, Gale Banks, etc, and GET THEIR opinion, advice! Jeez! Great site, Lots of GREAT info, just a "mafia" controlling it..Can I get a donation refund, and disappear?

I had an intake freeze up once in the winter. It blew out the welded seal on the bottom and cracked the intake. I know if I ran the truck with it frozen like that it would probably killed the engine by the time I hit the end of the block. What gets me is if the radiator doesn't have anti-freeze to the proper mixture and your driving it, you can bet on something getting frozen like a rock. Mine happened while it was down with trany problems. Punched out 3 freeze plugs, busted my radiator and cracked the intake manifold. I am now a little smarter about colder weather since moving north from California.

As for your donation...I think the hitmen will give it to you as soon as they find you. pffft! chill pills work wonders.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    I've done something like that with the 80's mustangs where you bypass the coolant going to the throttle plate. yes it gives you a bit more power but when the temp hits below 34F on a day with high humidity the Idle Speed controller and throttle plate freeze up as the air going into the intake tube will drop in temp and cause ice to form before it goes into the engine. I've also had Chevette's with the 2BBL's freeze up when the lower heating element was removed. Granted the intake temp should be above freezing but with the venturi effect the air going into the carb is cooled down well below freezing before it goes into the intake and gets warmed up again. Think of it this way.... open a window in your house and put a big fan in the window at or around freezing,Turn the furnace up to 100 degrees then let the fan run and see how much ice forms on the fan blades this is basically what's happening with the carb. By passing it is fine in cool to warm conditions but in the winter you reattach the lines and you will be fine.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well, I just didn't like BS being attributed to ME. That's what got me riled, and just keep the donation..Agreed I did respond a bit too strong to the attack on my expertise. I earned my rep/expertise, and I can ASSURE anyone there is NO way this can do anything negative to your engine. It only affects the INTAKE manifold, ALL ELSE is as designed. Of course, if some idiot runs w/o antifreeze in cold temps (less than 25 degrees usually) there can be BAD issues (as you list in your post), BUT NEVER, from an EFI intake (unless some dumb ass is running NO AIRCLEANER maybe, even then it'd be difficult to get ice/snow into it there on top of a hot engine. I guarantee all these "experts" are running unheated intakes of some sort! That's why I was so incredulous and got a bit pissed, honestly. Anyway, I realize what is happening on this site, and will post and visit where my experience/expertise is appreciated. There is some good info on here also, just some bad Nazi control freaks not wanting any one else to "move in" on their kingdom hehe No worries!

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Again, carb icing (in steady state AIR COOLED AIRCRAFT engines is a well known and documented fact, HOWEVER, I know of NO one that has EVER had any issues in a vehicle speeding up and slowing down, idling at lights (and heat soak from that, regardless of temps. There is ALWAYS a HOT 200 degree BLAST of fan forced air heating it up some anyways. I KNOW my truck runs NUCH more efficiently, and since I started doing this in 1980's, HAVE HAD NO ISSUES ever, no matter if -5 F (one year in mountains of NCarolina ski trip)!! Just waay more power and tq! Also this is posted all over Nissan 350Z and Frontier sites/forums (by me and others) and again, thousands are doing this, with NO complaints or issues EVER from ANYONE , but many raves and thank you's attaboys from satisfied users, especially thise increasing timing 2 or 3 degrees...

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Anyway, just put a VALVE on it, and turn it on if you'r freaking out for whatever reason (or you fear its too cold or whatever)!

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Brad, MORE BS!! (unless you were running your vehicle without proper antifreeze mixture!! Block would go before intake anyway, as passages are small in intake (and its aluminum so can give a bit before cracking). If you disconnect water or antifreeze mix, IT CANNOT FREEZE IN WINTER, THERE IS NOTHING IN THERE, my FRIEND!! THINK ON THAT, its EMPTY of anything EXCEPT AIR!! If air freezes, the world (and everyone on here) has waay worse problems than their truck intake!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I'll check back on this thread when you can learn how to swallow being wrong. I'll let you figure this one out, but try not to argue with yourself too long ok..

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    If you are so smart and this will do no damage to anyones car, your sure, then why tell us? Go tell all the car makers that they are spending needless money and robbing everyone of what .5 HP, which as anyone who is anyone know you can easily feel.

This is NOT a mod. And if somehow it gave you any extra HP or TQ, which I still dont see how it would, it would be so small of an amount that you could not feel it. Its a freeking coolant line that keeps your TB from icing up. Thats it. The fact your getting so angry about it sums up how much stalk I would put in any of your advice. If this is how you are going to act, we dont need this. We have plenty of very well informed and nice members. I would not say to leave, but please have some tact.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Its there to use or not, I don't care. I explained what pissed me off, the attack on my credibility and the stupidity of the moron(s) claiming engine damage. That's (IMPOSSIBLE) from this mod. But hey, why do YOU have to rant at me? Just IGNORE IT (and me)! Have a nice day. This is a UNFORTUNATE all too common problem on the net, sophomoric and uninformed people ganging up on someone offering help (for FREE, by the way)!! Whatever, Brad. I am not the one wrong, and trying to BS someone! Ignore it, as stated already...unless someone is "PISSING ON YOUR PARADE" and you're upset, hehe. Then, attack someone who cares about what someone who knows that little about engine dynamics they'd state something OBVIOUS wrong, then defend it! This truck (like all my other 8 I owned like it or similar, ALL responded as this one, very well...Its just the STUPIDITY of fools who buy a CAI, but then leave HOT water making the CAI ineffective!! Sheesh!

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    You are correct in the fact that there are all to many "sophomoric and uninformed people" on the internet.

Its foolish to think that the coolant is heating your in comming air up to the point that it makes a difference in performance. As its been said before if that was the case you would have way worse problems from the underhood temps causing heat soak of parts. Anytime the air outside is cooler you will feel a noticeable difference. So basicly every morning will run better then middle of the day.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The intake heat was an EPA mandate to get the intake charge warmer faster in cold weather for emissions - on an NA engine eated or not makes little difference. On a turbo motor, the cooler the intake the denser the air for more fuel under boost. So, quit the flaming and settle down - its not a big deal either way.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    This thread needs to be sealed, packaged, compacted and used as a cork for the next deep ocean water oil spill. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast