Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neat little hp/tq increase at less than $1.00 cost!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6

Exclamation

Take it down a step people.
    This is a discussion not a pissing match.
    Yes the colder the air going into an engine will increase performance. Thats why drag racers ice the manifold before a run. So yes he is correct. When I went to UTI back in the 80s we put nitrous on a diesel drag car. We could drop the intake air temp to -134 the colder the air, the denser the molecules are together. So this means,,,, what,,,, more air, more volume metric efficiency = more power and torque..

While this is a perfectly viable mod for some trucks in there local operation conditions, it may not be for others. Thats why in the Terms of Service agreement it clearly states do not do anything you may read. Read the DISCLAIMER.

He has experience in what he is doing, and what he is talking about. All of you do.
    Just keep in mind everything you read, everything you type, is in your own opinion and means diddle squat in the big picture. Whats the big picture you ask? Helping others learn about there trucks and building the membership. Thats it. So please put aside the deference of opinions. If you ask a mechanic, "whats you favorite silicone"? you will get a different answer from each of them. I like Ultra Blue, just because it does not get a hard turd in the cap for up to 2 months. Some like black because it's easy to paint over, and so on..

In fact thillskier is probably one of the few guys on here that know why they put thousands of little holes around the inside of the cowling of a jet engine intake. Or why we put a chain to the engine on light aircraft that run a metal propeller VS wood.

FordBushi is a Canadian and if he still had the Mitsu engine it would not be a good idea for him to run the mod, just because it's frozen about 75% of the time. Me it would be just fine because I live on the Leftest coast.

PennyMan1,, well he is a living and breathing Wiki on these trucks and more and was right on the spot on one of the reasons why we added the heated intakes.

In fact everyone should put up an apologize and make nice or I'll send all of you to the M-User group for a time out.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Pennyman, On my e36 M3, many experts say the egr fills vacuum at part throttle in the BMW set up, supposedly helping mileage by reducing the resistance of piston movement due to increased vacuum in cylinders at part throttle. (admittedly this is a probably very small amount of drag, but on diesel trucks with egr, removing it adds about 4 mpg or 20% mpg improvement (and tq)! On these engines does it do the same thing, or just is there for emissions, choking performance with heated, oxygen depleted air? I haven't had time to study the systems working(s) yet..ANd may be going turbo diesel soon. Working on some Pajero 4D56's at a good price for us...

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    No apology needed, ain't my first rodeo! but thanks anyways, Camoit. Discussion sometimes can aid in discovery, IF constructive.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
    I call BS on LSR MIKE! because I guarantee he reduced intake and underhood air temps, OR someone else did, and that's why he no longer has LSR!
    What are you calling BS? The fact that my Intake temps are lower than Coolant temp?
    for me LSR is Land Speed Racing. I still have it.

We all have been to a lot of rodeo's...and there is more than one black belt in the Dojo...

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    SORRY LSR thought I saw that got beat! Kudos! wondering tho, why u hitting on my post negatively? U KNOW I speak truth!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Animation1.gif

per request of the boss...

Here is my apology
    I am sorry if I offended anyone, I should of lied.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Or u took it wrong. .seem's u are looking to fight..

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks Brad..U da Man!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    SORRY LSR thought I saw that got beat! Kudos! wondering tho, why u hitting on my post negatively? U KNOW I speak truth!

Like I said,
    If you ask a mechanic, "whats you favorite silicone"? you will get a different answer from each of them.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Like I said,
    If you ask a mechanic, "whats you favorite silicone"? you will get a different answer from each of them.
    boobie silicone? I imagine

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I'm not hitting on your post, you called me BS. I assume it from your other thread about water temps and air temps. that is another discussion. That time did get beat this year at Bonneville by 20 MPH. those guys have way more money and time than I do. I still hold the record on the Wilmington Mile at 157 and change..... but enough already, hatchet buried. post up some pix of your truck...

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Jeez, guys! Pics?

After looking at your setups and trucks, I gotts get "some work in" first! SHe's getting there, just "my way" mechanical basics first, catch up neglected maintainance items, then decide what to do next.. Its a plain white truck at present, tho running pretty strong for a almost stocker..more to come tho.. ANyway anyone who ever attempted a world record (IDK if its tiddly winks, and a LSR IMHO def is a HISTORIC! WIN! I know, I tried for records in a sport for many years, its TOUGH!! (and expensive)!! Got one in College, tho, and it feels GOOD! That you will never forget! Congrats, on that, also. ALL I was saying re intake temps were that you didn't heat your air any with anything before your run, that's all..Sorry if I was misunderstood!

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    All this over something so simple. His info says he lives in AL. LIke me here in NC we never see below 0 temps so his truck doesn't need this. I remove them in most of my vehicles. Doesn't matter what temp the intake manifold is, if it goes in cooler it'll be cooler at the head. Will it be the same temp at the head as the t-body? No but it'll be cooler than going through a hot t-body. What Mitsubishi told me is they put these in all vehicles for different reason than stated in the post. It was put there to prevent throttle plates from freezing in place in colder climates which could lead to accidents like Toyota had recently where customers couldn't stop the vehicle with the engine wide open. Nissan and even Chrysler have stopped using heated t-bodys recently since computer management and advanced sensors in the throttle body can tell if it's frozen or stuck and will put the vehicle into limp mode.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    i made myself some popcorn and then i read this whole thread. no lie. wow.. lol

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Being as Thillskier has a '95 MM would his engine not be fuel injected? A throttle body injector system may get an icing problem as the air/fuel mix has to travel further, but would a multi-port system? When the ambient temp is below 32 deg. any moisture that was in the air should already be frozen. Freezing cold air is dry. Moisture that is in air above 32 deg. that passes through an intake that is below 32 deg. will condense and freeze on the cold surface of the intake. Would moisture not also freeze to the outside of the intake also and show as frost. The cylinder head should get hot enough to keep the intake from getting too cold in a multi port system. Would adding some gas line anti-freeze to the fuel make a difference for throttle body injection and carburetor systems?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    His truck is fuel injected, it started in 1990.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    The could possibly be some issues in a frigid environment. But in (to me) very cold temps for many years, I have done this with nothing adverse, but a little better tq/hp from being able to push timing a bit and the increased air density from a few degrees (more or less) less intake air temps (at valve).I have never done instrumented tests, however..since it was kinda common sense to me (and always worked w/o issues) for me. Did the M3 this AM and it felt a bit better as well. When I did the GBuy at UPREV for V6 Nissan Frontiers in 2008, we got as much as 12 hp when tuning for a 350 Z water temp vs stock Frontier water temps. We advanced timing by a few degrees (and everyone had the TBody heaters disconnected w/o issues).

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Honestly it has to be COLD for that theory to work andy. Remember the air entering the engine already passes over the engine if it's a 4g64 by the intake tube and that will warm up the air by warming the tube enough for freezing moisture to not be a problem. That engine bay is warm even if it's below 0 outside and the engine is running and warmed up. The intake will pick up below 0 air but it'll be warmed up to a usable temp once it gets into the engine compartment. My 95 sentra and my 06 sentra responded well to removing the t-body coolant lines.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    @Brad.. yes I got an e-mail notification about ur comment, but it magically disappeared before I could reply must be those new Mod. tools u been utilizing.. LOL

and yes, too much free time that moves hellaaaa slow and days blend in w/ one another.. I hope I don't go insane or gain more "insulation"...or both up in this bisshhh.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B

Throttle Body Thread Resurrection

2013-10-26_11-11-14_579.jpg
    BEFORE

2013-10-26_13-12-43_289.jpg
    AFTER

So after digging this up from the archives, I decided to try it. I wanted to keep function as close to OE as possible, and gratefully there was enough hose to just bypass the throttle body with no other mod needed. I only had to disconnect the intake manifold support and run the hose under it. Then I topped off the coolant and took a test drive. Haven't adjusted timing or anything, but so far so good - started, ran, and Temp Needle was on point. That's a good start, and we'll go from there.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    It froze Friday night here, and MAN the truck ran GREAT Sat AM, much "crisper" and torque was up! It stayed that way, IMHO, due to cold air staying cold with heater removed (in tb).

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Did this "mod" in my old civic. Idle got a little loopy because of it. Put the coolant hoses back and the loopyness disappeared. Was going to do the same for my truck, but figured keep it hooked up, as long as it don't corrode.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12