Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Dooms Day D50

I have been jumping around on ideas for my '80 D50 Sport for a while now. And finally one day I had the idea of building it to be the ultimate multi-purpose truck. I would like to add things like wenches in both front and rear, along with light bar, rhino lined body, lifted suspension, oversized tires, ext. For those of you who are not familular with my truck already, this is what I'm working with at the moment.

First decision I am trying to make though for the project is what I am going to do for engine and transmission. If I had all the money in the world and all the resources in the world, I would have the stock motor with every natural hp squeezed out of it, and I would make an AWD transmission bolt up to it. My big problem is, how much power could I pull out of the stock motor? And can I even bolt up a 4x4 or AWD trany. Is it worth it to build it, or should I go for an engine swap? The main objectives I am attempting to accomplish are: good fuel economy, good amount of power for off-road use, and 4x4 or AWD.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    2.6 Starquest turbo swap - whole motor - with multiport injection and all the usual parts - 400-600 HP can be achieved without major effort, and no mount mods needed.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Good to hear from you again Pennyman. I am loving the idea, especially being turbo charged (I am a complete sucker for a blow-off valve. But is there any way to bolt a 4x4 set up to it?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes - the trannies are the same - just swap the tailshaft housing for the transfer case, and you will need a 4x4 oil pan and pickup to clear
    the front diff if the 4wd setup is stock
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yea but if the truck is 2wd he'll need a new frame to make it 4x4. Theyre different to accomidate torsion bars. Also please don't rhino line the body. If you do I've got a 86 with only 27k miles and a near mint body I"ll trade ya. Those sports are SUPER rare and I"d hate to see that paint scheme destroyed. Your truck is what I'm going for with mine when I'm done with my diesel swap

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Then you would really have a fit if you would have seen Geronimo in his original paint scheme - black with 4 color striping and color matched wheels - only ones rarer was the 80 Plymonth Arrow sport white with 4 color stripes, or the 81 ram 50 long horn. I changed him a lillte bit...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yea don't lose the stripes. They're badass. I went back to the yard today and found some early 80s sport seats like yours but mine are black/yellow.

Array
    Status
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Good info guys. This conversation has helped me change my mind on the project. I am still going to do it. But I will just find a vehicle that is already 4x4 for the "Dooms Day" theme. So with that said, I'm back to the drawing boards.