Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Timing belt replacement info

Just bought a 1995 MM 5 speed. doing prevent maintainance, oil in engine, trans, and diff, water pump coolant was nasty, and fix A/c has 165000 miles. When to change timing belt? need tensioners etc. also? Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    60,000 mile so it's way over due.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Should I do the balance shaft delete while in there? How difficult is it? WOndering whether to turbo this motor or just do a diesel swap..hmmm decisions, decisions. This engine (and truck) has been well taken care of, fortunately...Thanks for rapid reply, also, and what I figured re replacement! yikes! Its an interference fit as well, correct? Is there anywhere on her that has a sticky/list of newbie list of maintainance items etc?THX!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
    Should I do the balance shaft delete while in there? How difficult is it? WOndering whether to turbo this motor or just do a diesel swap..hmmm decisions, decisions. This engine (and truck) has been well taken care of, fortunately...Thanks for rapid reply, also, and what I figured re replacement! yikes! Its an interference fit as well, correct? Is there anywhere on her that has a sticky/list of newbie list of maintainance items etc?THX!
    Your going to hear people that have removed it and people that did not remove it. My machinest whom rebuilt my short block recently said keep it in. IMO the manufacturer put it there for a reason and that is why I decided to leave it there. If you remove it and do not like the new vibration the engine creates then your going to have to dig into the motor again to reinstall it. Don't leave it up to others to make your decision as well, read what they respond with and make your own choice. Look around on the internet as well for others that have removed it. Once again the manufacturer designed and installed it to smooth out the vibration the 4 cylinder creates. If you do not mind feeling a little vibration on your ass then remove it.
    It is not like if you remove it that it is going to save you time and money in parts to replace belts or what not. It is a strange device in a motor IMO but it also is a genius idea to smooth out the truck engine.

If your pulling covers off and stuff up front, why not replace everything you can up there. Parts are not outrageously priced and the benefits of knowing when they were replaced is worth it. I replaced belts twice before I replaced tensioners since tensioners don't wear out as fast. My engine has always been taken care of well also. Though my engine won't smack valves to pistons if I let it go until it burns the belts down. I usually let it do that so I get as much as I can out of them. If you have an interference issue, I would damn well keep them belts on check always because your going to make a mess if they break.

And...Welcome to the forum. Post a picture of your vehicle if you find time.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the advice...Been searching for interference info on my 2.4 (1995) engine..unsuccessfull so far...

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Found answers on Rock auto, it is nterference apparently. Thx all!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It can be done but is hard to do with the engine in the truck. Many times people have gotten lucky if the belt breaks nothing gets bent.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I blew out a chevy vega (I know, but a broke ass student in 1976) at Bama one day...right before I decided to ATTEMPT to impress my future GF by chirping the tires into second....and had a HUGE bump and loud noises as I RAN OVER 3 GEARS, bearings and a large chunk from side of tranny!! SHe helped me push, so was a KEEPER! Moral, do NOT "hot rod" a $300 KNOWN POS car! especially with a new girl you find hot! Ask me about the Sugar bowl queens ride in same car 4 yrs later and I had to park on a hill for the "momentum starter" to function!! hehehe

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Your engine should be a 4G64 (2.4L), not a 4G67(1.8L) which is in your profile.

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Its a non interference engine I thought? Keep your balance shaft in there. If you do a swap before that engine is bad, please let us know, im in NW FL and may be in need of a spare here in the future.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks LSR I'll try to fix that ASAP. OK will do sleeps but I'm thinking keep it and play some for now.Header on the way, and looking at a mild turbo (from manifold link, maybe later on, also, first)...

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    What header did you order?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    consider the DOHC head swap for the Turbo, trust me doing it otherwise will be expensive and not for the faint of heart.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    camoit and I installed a balance shaft elimination kit on my g63b engine after a fresh rebuilt.. I honestly dnt feel a diff. or vibrations but then again i have all new mounts and its a fresh build so idk.. i did hit 205K with it before i rebuilt it.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    consider the DOHC head swap for the Turbo, trust me doing it otherwise will be expensive and not for the faint of heart.
    isn't the 4g63 block a 6 bolt like the g63b? and DOHC head off a 4g63 should work w/ a g63b block, no? i dnt fully understand DSM yet and how they can be integrated w/ our truck motors. still learning

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    4G63 and 4G64's went 7 bolt in the 93 Model year.

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    What header did you order?
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.