Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    ctd. ...
    Last edited by Bill e; 09-13-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    manual now accessible.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    There are rebuilt engines you can order from the web like this one http://chicagoengines.com/engines/mi...7704-1608.aspx from Chicago Engines. (Don't go by the pic) or from Rock Auto here, http://www.rockauto.com/?a=G-longblock. The problem with getting a used engine from a wreckers that has been sitting for a long time is the rings may be frozen to the pistons and the valve seals and every other neoprene/rubber seal will probably be hardened up. You would be no better off. You may find ordering one from the U.S. is cheaper than rebuilding yours even with shipping. I had my 2.6 rebuilt in January and that cost me around $3k. I found out later that I could have got one from Chicago for around $1600 + core charge (which you can get back) + around $400 for shipping so its worth checking into.

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 2 View Post
    There are rebuilt engines you can order from the web like this one http://chicagoengines.com/engines/mi...7704-1608.aspx from Chicago Engines. (Don't go by the pic) or from Rock Auto here, http://www.rockauto.com/?a=G-longblock. The problem with getting a used engine from a wreckers that has been sitting for a long time is the rings may be frozen to the pistons and the valve seals and every other neoprene/rubber seal will probably be hardened up. You would be no better off. You may find ordering one from the U.S. is cheaper than rebuilding yours even with shipping. I had my 2.6 rebuilt in January and that cost me around $3k. I found out later that I could have got one from Chicago for around $1600 + core charge (which you can get back) + around $400 for shipping so its worth checking into.

Great thanks for that. Will take a browse through Andy.

Was planning on looking state side eventually if things get serious with regards to saving the little beast.

Yep thinking on the long time sitting engines, stuck in a couple like that in my foolish youth and watched the smoke fly as they fired up... .

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    Those racheting box ends sure would come in handy to access that fifth hidden carb bolt, don't think an extension is going to fit in there... if I even knew where the dang bolt head was at.[?]

Man'oh, that is one bulky, busy little carb for a simple 2 L four... oh give me the simplicity of my '50 Farmall draft carburater.

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    Standing on tippy-toes. managed to squeeze my super sized forearm into the crevice to allow the intake to eventually pull free of the head, carb stayed intact. Head comes off tomorrow.

Owned a VW Westfailia fitted with a 1600cc VW "upright"... had to be part monkey to work on it... deja vu...

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Pull the carb and just pour fuel from a gallon milk jug down that hole

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    Head off, warped a bit, gasket looks pretty good. More than a skim of oil sitting on top of piston next to #1.

Green anti freeze in places, back piston has the most on it.

Bought a head gasket set, now I am considering not, possibly returning. That amount of oil sitting in the #3 cylinder well has me worried. Not sure about the valve seals, shape of valves and other unknowns. Not sure if the heads worth taking apart.

By-gone days a fella would just re-shoe the horse to get under way.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    the antifreeze on the piston after pulling off the head is normal. But just replacing the valve seals will fix the oil problem. You can have the head checked out at a machine shop for a couple of bucks. Might be worth it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    Yippur, expected to see a ''hot mess, honey boo-boo" antifreeze mess, the oil? ... not so much.
    But as you say camoit, the seals might just be worth it, so onwards and upwards.

Think I am going to resurface the head myself with a glass surface and glued down sandpaper, or pay the 40 to get 'er done down the road by a pro. 'You see I am a poor critter, rich with life but a dusty, thin, whimpering wallet stuffed in my greasy jeans arse pocket... yells, ''POOR.''

Gotta move a valve out of the way to sand the head. How am I going to reassemble and have the distributor and timing and all the stuff be right?

** SEE-NEW ALBUM

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    With the rocker assembly off, it is fairly evident that the camshaft would be placed back in at re-assembly time, the same way it came out and that would solve the last question there ol' Bill'o... jeesh.
    Just sitting here thinking, it has been about 15 years since I messed with rockers and the like... there been a lot'a beer cracked since then, not too mention lobsters.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    We do have a manual you can download and use for reference. Look in the manual section> over 216 manuals> montero MM truck.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93

Culprit exposed!! See naked pictures!

TRUCKforum1.jpg Here is the lower hose that split during a three hour summer hot drive which now has me stuck 300 kilos from my home. After waiting for back ordered parts, money then more parts... do dads, getting on 5 weeks.

Managed to upload an album, [thought it was up yesterday] to finally show the progress. Any further input and forensic eyeballing always appreciated from you folks . Can't seem to upload any more attachments... album will show the rest.

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    I'd rather have a BJ!

Now with the latest. The head is in such poor shape, so says the engine rebuild boys, that it needs a VALVE JOB, hmmmm, let's see, BJ vs. VJ? VJ vs. BJ? Well I know what'd I would prefer... S.O.B.!

Another 250 bucks with tax... so far, unless they phone with more cheery news.

UPDATE! UPDATE! THEY JUST PHONED ME AS I TYPED THIS... THE EFF'N HEAD IS CRACKED, FRIDAY THE 13TH, oh sweet muther' of god. I am sunk.

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93

The end

Quote Originally Posted by Bill e View Post
    I'd rather have a BJ!

Now with the latest. The head is in such poor shape, so says the engine rebuild boys, that it needs a VALVE JOB, hmmmm, let's see, BJ vs. VJ? VJ vs. BJ? Well I know what'd I would prefer... S.O.B.!

Another 250 bucks with tax... so far, unless they phone with more cheery news.

UPDATE! UPDATE! THEY JUST PHONED ME AS I TYPED THIS... THE EFF'N HEAD IS CRACKED, FRIDAY THE 13TH, oh sweet muther' of god. I am sunk.
    This the part where you are supposed to come in and hug me... isn't it?

Alright she's all done in. Complete waste of time money and hand cleaner.

Took a hammer and a grinder to the head, beat the crap out of it, sold it for scrap... 7 bucks., wow!

When there was still hope, went over to the North American wide, famous Armstrong engine re-builders, known for many a racing engine.
    Gave Doug the nonrefundable head gasket set, the parts he needed. He phoned me three days later, on Friday the 13th actually, with a sad voice said, '' the heads ruined'', found a crack and it went internally, no way to use it.
    Even charged me 40 bucks for the bad news.

Lost track, hmmm 500 bucks and 40 hours labour invested to find out the truck will sit in a snow drift soon and continue to rust.

Should of tipped it over the cliff.

Yep pretty bitter...

yeah, yeah, I know, I know,

" just suck it up, Butter'cup!".

Picture attached.

May return some day with another 50, won't be soon.

DSCF5576.jpgDSCF5577.jpgDSCF5578.jpgDSCF5579.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12