Array
    Status
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Pics of the diesel progress

Got the '84 back on the road now. Still needs a bit of work, but it drives back and forth to town Passed emissions and has real license plates on it. Got the valves adjusted, and the pump timed better, and will have some data on mpg soon.

Currently trying to get the turn signals working.... it had a shorted wire to one front one and that blew out the flasher unit back in 2006 shortly before I stopped driving it, I think, but now, it won't do anything even with a new flasher unit... wondering if all three terminal flashers are not the same and if I have to get a specific one instead of a generic one.

Also looking for a new grille (I still have the bumper, just have to cut it a little to go around the winch, but don't have a grille for a four headlight model any more). d50lf.jpgd50rr.jpg

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Luvvin the Chameleon paint job. 4 eye grills in perfect condition are rarer than hemi cudas.
    It's easier to rewire with aftermarket flashers than to chase unobtanium 30 year old junk yard electronics. Unless the junkyards are plentiful and close.
    I get 31 mpg every tankful with lousy compression but good boost. I climb 3350 feet of elevation above sea level every single day to get home.
    I covet your shell with rack. I just can't seem to find a good one in the yards.

Array
    Status
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I've only ever once seen one of these in a junkyard around here ("around here" being 2 hours away...). I bought the entire diesel engine from it, so I have a spare 4d55t for parts.... Also spare doors and fenders and such, but it was a 2 eye not a four eye. That was four years ago. Yeah, I'm lucky with the topper. It's a super heavy duty one too -- you can put a few hundred lbs on the rack and it's fine. The side windows all open as well, and it's got tool boxes along the insides of the bed.

I've got about 3,900 feet of elevation gain to get home -- climbing from 5,400 feet to 9,300 feet.