Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93

Hey, hey ... fried my truck.

Hi guys,

Green here, fairly new little dodge truck owner... year and a half.

My problem, a wicked overheating due to loss of water while driving through a lower split house, out of sight under the power steering unit.
    Thought it was the water pump, as it has been squealing a bit, when first starting, due to lack of lubricants from lack of antifreeze.
    The bearing on the water pump was still fairly tight, not too much play.

So while driving on a warm summer day suddenly smoke out the back from engine grime burning off, the valves starting to clatter, then had to drive on the side of the fast highway traffic to limp into a village... about five minutes.
    Knowing the engine was hot, hot, and getting parked saw steam and smoke when I cracked the hood.

Let it cool ten minutes, got water, started pouring in, saw the leak from around the back of water pump, [now know that was the hose split.]
    Waited another 15 minutes and decided to try it, the engine didn't sound great, but after holding down the gas and cranking alot the engine flared to life.

The 2L was still alive! It idled so-so but I shut it down after a minute or so.

Left the truck for two days.
    I had a ten minute drive to get the truck back home and carried 5 gallons of water. Two stops later while adding water, made it home with a little overheating... not bad.

Here are some questions coming, after I did some work.

A new water pump had already been ordered, so I put that in, new lower hose, new thermostat. I had the timing belt off, the big belt, did not fool with the little one... they are both in good shape.

Now even though I did mark the upper cam gear and was careful reinstalling the belt as it had come off, it almost seems it is off by a tooth.

Symptoms:

It has ''flat acceleration'', much less than before the overheating, is under-powered.

It smokes now when starting... never did before.

It backfires when taking foot off the gas, around 30 to 40 mph. ... third gear, from excess gas/fuel combusting, is my guess.

Is that not a sign of advanced timing?

So what do you think?

Has the engine been damaged much, valves warped, compression screwed?

Is it perhaps just the timing off?

I need to put that belt back on properly this time. I know where some marks are but not quite sure how to time it perfectly.
    Crankshaft in conjunction with cam?

Do not have a manual.

Love the truck, good fuel economy, all the power[or had] all the power I need.
    There is a little over 200,000 k on her.

Any tips, hints, help from you guys would be greatly appreciated, have the front pulleys off now, t-belt back off and wondering where or if I should buy another radiator as that is now leaking a bit!

All the best,

Bill e

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    Correcting/explaining first sentence... bad spelling.
    ''My problem, a wicked overheating due to loss of water while driving through a lower split house, out of sight under the power steering unit.''

The overheating was due to coolant loss from a hidden lower rad hose split.

Don't matter much... she got damn hot and was driven a little further than should have... didn't stall though UNTIL I pulled in to a water stop! Ram tough.

The '88 has the 2.0 liter. 5 speed standard. base model. Not sure what the numbers are ?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    nova scotia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G93
    Many thanks LSR Mike!

Array
    Status
    North West Florida
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    If your radiator is leaking even a little, get a new one. They are not that expensive.