Array
    Status
    wallkill, ny
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G52

88 2.0 egr tube thread size????

Wondering because i installed a weber its going great. Today i decided to ditch the egr and tube and install a plug supplied in the kit for the manifold. Well 1 wtf they give an aluminum plug idk... 2 it screwed in fine by hand to start it a little... Start tightening it and it got real tight and i wasnt even halfway down the threads on the plug.... I know it was no where near bottomed out!!!! So i take it out and yea threads gone up to maybe first 3 rows. Well i know that pos alum plug didnt ruin that steel manifold. But looks like i got the molten alum out of the threads of one spot but another spot has some and i cant seems to scrape it out. I dont want to take the manifold off. Im going to try and get a tap but need the thread size and pitch. Thanks all! Its weird only 2 spots have the aluminum in the threads. Maybe a 1/4" long spot each. Like as if it wasnt even screwing all the way around.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    Wondering because i installed a weber its going great. Today i decided to ditch the egr and tube and install a plug supplied in the kit for the manifold. Well 1 wtf they give an aluminum plug idk... 2 it screwed in fine by hand to start it a little... Start tightening it and it got real tight and i wasnt even halfway down the threads on the plug.... I know it was no where near bottomed out!!!! So i take it out and yea threads gone up to maybe first 3 rows. Well i know that pos alum plug didnt ruin that steel manifold. But looks like i got the molten alum out of the threads of one spot but another spot has some and i cant seems to scrape it out. I dont want to take the manifold off. Im going to try and get a tap but need the thread size and pitch. Thanks all! Its weird only 2 spots have the aluminum in the threads. Maybe a 1/4" long spot each. Like as if it wasnt even screwing all the way around.
    Take the same nut and pipe that was in there before, cut the pipe off about 4 inches above the manifold. Bring the pipe piece over to a vise and grab the cut end you just cut and bend it over onto itself about an inch or so and then squeeze this folded end together to form an air tight seal. Then reinstall it back onto truck again using the same bolt that was there originally.
    egr2.jpg

Array
    Status
    wallkill, ny
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G52
    Yea i was going to do that (done that with other cars) but like i said i cant get any of the stuff to thread in there. Want to try cleaning the threads with a tap that size.