I'm new here; I have some questions.
I just picked up, from a friend, a 1987 Dodge Raider (2.6 gas/auto) in pretty good condition - minus the broken rod/block in the 4G54. I've always wanted a diesel and I found a 4D55 (from an 87 ranger) in my local area. There is a running 4G54 that is slightly further away, however, if this 4D55 is at all realistic this is the route I would like to go.
This is not my normal forte... I am very experienced with high performance cars and in engine builds/EFI tuning but I've never so much as turned a wrench on a diesel engine before. So with that in mind, bring on the questions:
1. I know this is a Ram 50 site - however, I believe the Raider and the Ram 50 have a lot in common, no?
2. I've read that the 4D55 will "bolt in" on the Raider. I've rarely found these things true. Thoughts?
3. Will I have a problem using my automatic transmission (A44D)?
4. What sort of wiring does it take to get the 4D55 running? Wiring is not an issue for me, but, seriously I have no idea. Does it even have an ECU?
5. Can anyone foresee any roadblocks I might hit doing this?
Appreciate any and all help guys.