I had the timing belt snap while getting on the highway in my 87 mmax G63b, initially i was told this was an interference engine and that i was basically screwed. After long searching, blogging, and talking to some mmax folks i found out that it is not an interference engine. I am trying to replace the timing belt myself, it is also worth mentioning that i am a Network Administrator and not a mechanic what so ever.

My question is, which cylinder is my #1 piston in?

I know that if i take the spark plug out, throw a straw or screwdriver in there and hand turn the crankshaft until that cylinder is tdc, i can work from there. I tried this on the cylinder closest to the front of the vehicle and didnt have any luck. Also tried using the "factory" timing marks that are on the crackshaft and cam gear and that also did not work. It would turn over smoothly, but not start. I moved the crank several notches either forward or backward from the factory timing mark and was able to get it started a couple of times, but it ran like crap. My cam gear timing mark is being placed at the 9 o'clock position, and the smaller pulley to the right of the crankshaft is being placed at its factory timing mark (about 10 - 11 o'clock position). Any suggestions?