Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

rear end setup for autocross

hey i'm pretty new to this site and a couple years new to mighty max/d50's. i know very little about suspension in general, but here's what i have for you guys. i have a 91 MM, 2WD, 4g64 and i want to race it at my local autocross. i plan on doing a 6g72 swap in the future as well, so i'm wanting a beefy rear end with disc brakes. i dont really care if its with springs or leafs. i just want a good setup that can handle the 6g72's power and have great cornering ability.

so there it is. what can yall tell me?

Array
    Status
    Esparto CA
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I dont doubt that the stock rearend is stout enough to hold its own, people have done v8 swaps and still use thestock rearend.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if you really want a stout axle with disc brakes, get a 2nd gen montero rear - they even come with an air locker on some models
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtlentz View Post
    <>
    I want to race it at my local autocros
    <>

so there it is. what can yall tell me?
    Just spend alot at the Belltech site. Get the lowering kit, shocks and anti-sway bars. Then stop at the Energy Suspension site and get the rest of the polyurethane bushings you need; rear leaf spring, front lower control arm and strut rod bushings.
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    any specific year? or just any 2nd gen montero?

and thank you Lon, those sites are awesome. i didnt think they made any aftermarket anything for the MM. and i've been looking for a long time too lol

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    is there a way to swap in rear disc brakes if i keep the stock rear end?

Array
    Status
    Esparto CA
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    there is always a way... lol

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    is there any way you could elaborate? lol

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    or, get a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end with the disc's and all I understand it's a easy swap. Details are on the site somewhere...

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    For autocross I would definitely get rid of the leafs and do a 4 link setup with coilovers or something. The rear end should hold up fine, and you can convert to disc brakes, just takes some custom fab work. Bracket, new rear lines, and whichever rotor you decide works good. I will be building a rear disc conversion for these trucks, but bit won't be for a little while.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    hey guys i didn't really want to start a new thread but i'd say my questions are pretty related to this one. I plan on getting the doetsch nitro slammer shocks because i've read they outperform the belltech nitros. and also, the summit sport truck shocks are supposed to be rebranded doetsch shocks, except cheaper, sooooooo if anyone knows the part# for the doetsch for our mightyrams, we could get the summit ones by cross referencing w/ them i guess. (summit doesn't currently list their sport truck shocks as available for ours. it would be a saving of $40 so if we can't fig it out, no biggie.) and also if you guys had other opinions for lowered sport shocks. i would need some convincing if i was gonna drop the extra cash for the belltech street performers though.

i also wanna pick up the belltech sway bar set and haven't been able to find any reviews on here and on other forums, people are just posting when they put em on their big trucks. i know they're going to be great, but if anyone had personal opinions that'd be pretty sweet. i already love how my truck handles w/ the beltech springs and block drop 2.5/4 . i'm just super interested in sport truck handling and ill keep an eye on this thread.

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    For autocross I would definitely get rid of the leafs and do a 4 link setup with coilovers or something. The rear end should hold up fine, and you can convert to disc brakes, just takes some custom fab work. Bracket, new rear lines, and whichever rotor you decide works good. I will be building a rear disc conversion for these trucks, but bit won't be for a little while.
    is there a bolt on kit to convert from leafs to coilovers? or do i just swap the stock shocks with coilovers and remove the leafs?

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    I have the nitro drop 2 shocks on my truck with a 2.5/4 drop with 18 inch wheels and my truck handles and take corners just like my awd lancer, for the summit shocks,for the front s10 shock will fit, for the rear shocks for a nissan pickup from 87-03. what prices are you getting for the shocks,

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    i have a feeling i'm going to have to replace my A frames with ones set up for shocks and springs in order to do a coilover conversion

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    I have the nitro drop 2 shocks on my truck with a 2.5/4 drop with 18 inch wheels and my truck handles and take corners just like my awd lancer, for the summit shocks,for the front s10 shock will fit, for the rear shocks for a nissan pickup from 87-03. what prices are you getting for the shocks,
    then again, i might just do what you did and get the nitro set and replace my leafs. (they're kind of old)

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    thanks for the info Rahtid! doetsch nitro's are $45.44 each. the summit sport truck (which are supposed to be rebranded doetschs) go for $36.97.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    but dang, if you're feelin the nitro drop 2's that much, then i might as well go for those! decisions decisions...

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    steen3rddensity No problem, I looked at getting doetsch(summit) shocks but I able the get all 4 nitro drop II for the price
    of the doetsch nitro's,

Turtlentz you can try using s10 coilovers http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...uir9gq7ul2u7i3

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HA...450C/?rtype=10

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the 1st gen s10s and our trucks use the same shock length, so if it bolts into an s10 _ it should work on our trucks. However, the valving is different, so get adjustable bounce/rebound shocks on the coilovers for fine tuning. also consider running negative camber when autocrossing - about 3 degrees negative to start
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    the 1st gen s10s and our trucks use the same shock length, so if it bolts into an s10 _ it should work on our trucks. However, the valving is different, so get adjustable bounce/rebound shocks on the coilovers for fine tuning. also consider running negative camber when autocrossing - about 3 degrees negative to start
    Do they make camber/castor plates for the mightyram? I had them on my mustang and they were awesome. I'm sure if they don't it wouldn't be extremely tough to make some from another model work.. Just be sure to change your camber when you're doing your daily driving otherwise you'll go through front tires faster than you go through rears.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Last edited by BradMph; 09-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    actually the mitsu trucks are one piece with 2 slots to drop in between the upper control arm shaft and the frame - those are fender shims. Unfortunately, that is what everyone sells now...
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Heber, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    I camber/castor plate looks like this- http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.a...FRPl7AodpTEAYg
    It mounts to the top of your strut and makes it fully adjustable forward and backward for caster and side to side for camber. They're a very good mod if you're doing anything on a racetrack or just to get your camber back to normal after a big lowering job so you don't wear the insides of your tires down to the cords in a week ha

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Ahhh, those are much better. Thanks for the visual

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    camber plates are for vehicles with macpherson strut suspension, they still sell the one piece spacers for the A arm suspension that these trucks use http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumin...cers,3532.html http://www.speedwaymotors.com/JOES-R...t-4,34039.html but the body shims are cheaper and easier to get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast