Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Dual Electric Fans

Since all the cool kids are putting electric fans in their trucks I thought I would give it go. Now I originally bought this set up for my 10 year in the making XJ Jeep Cherokee build, but going different route now so decided to put in the 50. Here is what I got, the fans and then the controller. http://www.kmjent.com/cart/dual-11-e...e-twin-hd.html; http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/167...arentProductId= Now my only question is should I or should I not run a 70 amp relay with this set up. Since I have stated in other posts I am not an electrician. I also plan on upgrading the alternator to at least the 90 amp alt from a Caravan as suggested by Fordubishi in another thread. Any down sides or problems I should be concerned about. Maybe other than freezing the motor.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6
    With 50 at the start up for both fans yes I would go 70, those fans crank the CFM's. the Summit video says a v8 needs at least 2000cfm, those pull 4500. very nice set up. You could run them separate running on two 30 amp relays on two different temperature sending units or run one always on and the other on the sending unit. I prefer running one on all the time just to keep the air moving under the hood at lights. Right now I’m waiting on two 12” Mishimoto Slim Electric Fans 933 cfm each, I do not have that kind of room for one like that which is a shame, but the Mishimoto’s also come in red, I liked that.
    Pullers are the way to go but I don’t like the fact that I can’t use a shroud, it this or move the radiator for the 4th time. Lol I'm pretty sure I won't be moving it.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    since they both fit side by side on the radiator which one would run all the time inlet side since that's were the most heat is.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6
    I just went thru this with mine, again =) jump over to this link, it help's the site with fewer threads about the same topic. But, as you do your work post back on here so we can see it..
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-pump-switches

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6
    Yeah hell this is a crap shoot there on location, but it would be easy to switch around the power wires (#30) on the relays to see if there is a difference in temp. Mine are on a relays, but I have a over ride switch and basically have it on all the time. But if and when it cools down just let the temperature sensor control it.
    Last edited by Rickdees; 08-04-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Dual fans.jpgSo here is what basic set up will look like. Now you 1st gen. 2wd guys are sucking hind tit on this since your radiator is narrower don't know why they put the smaller units in but they did. Also a CAUTION for the FWD guys double check the radiator size if you order a new one from the net 99% of the radiators I've seen are all the narrow ones for the 2wd. Now Gen 2 guys I don't know if there is a difference in radiator size between 2wd vs 4wd.
    Last edited by mopar_ja; 08-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    0808131629a.jpg0808131629.jpg0808131628.jpgSo here is the air box I just made out of 22 ga. sheet metal, not sure if I like might try and find some aluminum.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V6
    Your going to want to soften the edge of the shroud with foam pads, and yes aluminum. If you have access to a brake why not wrap the hole radiator and tie in to the core support, you want no rubbing at all, in My case I'm trapped unless I move my radiator.
    I would think that you don't want to put a drag on the fan motor as it will draw more amps, if I remember correctly these start up @ 25 amps and the way the shroud is designed just as you had it laying in the first picture running at 15 amps. basically you just want support it at their bolt locations. This is a shroud from speedway motors, notice the relief holes. your fans have enough power to suck the chrome off a ball hitch or it won't be able to draw enough air bringing the amps up.
    And Hey, I have had hour and hours of fabricated welded out parts and threw them in the scrap pile.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Electr...les,43668.html
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I was going to make 2 individual boxes to hopefully avoid flex causing metal fatigue and help isolate the air flow and either drill relief holes in the corners or put in air deflectors to channel all the air through the fan.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    or you can use a bead roller to put stiffening ribs in the panels - its amazing how much stiffer it makes sheet parts.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    or you can use a bead roller to put stiffening ribs in the panels - its amazing how much stiffer it makes sheet parts.
    Thanks Pennyman, more tools I don't have; can't afford nor have the storage for right now. Due time my friend, due time I will have it all. Even if I have to rob Detroit; OH wait Obummer is already to doing that, my bad.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_ja View Post
    0808131629a.jpg0808131629.jpg0808131628.jpgSo here is the air box I just made out of 22 ga. sheet metal, not sure if I like might try and find some aluminum.

I thought it was a BBQ grill!

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Finally got some sheet aluminum (in this 1/2 horse farmer hick town) thick enough and big enough to fab at least one air box.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sorry guys have not been on in while had to put this project on hold got to get the family vehicle back together and much needed suspension.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    We all thought you were doing your 6 months at San Quentin, lol then picking up trash on the highway in orange overalls