Thread: Cutting off while driving

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The coil itself could be bad also - look for signs of oil leakage from the coil - if there is leakage, the coil is bad. Had a 76 honda civic 1200 I drove for work that had that happen - went through a deep puddle and the coil got wet and the car quit until it dried out.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    The coil itself could be bad also - look for signs of oil leakage from the coil - if there is leakage, the coil is bad. Had a 76 honda civic 1200 I drove for work that had that happen - went through a deep puddle and the coil got wet and the car quit until it dried out.
    Thanks, but its a new coil, icm, starter switch, distributor, fuel pump.

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67
    Problem finally solved. It was the ECM.I sent it to Avpro ECM, in ft. Meyer's beach, fl.with same day turn around, and for once in a long time my MAX. Is running. 100%
    Last edited by 92bluemax; 10-18-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Array
    Status
    Menifee, CA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Long shot on an old post but was it something visible on the ecm? I'm having the same issues but the ecm looks good

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmorJawn View Post
    Long shot on an old post but was it something visible on the ecm? I'm having the same issues but the ecm looks good
    The failed capacitors are usually quite obvious - they will swell up, forcing the top face to bulge out or the capacitors don't get a chance to swell and they leak. It will stain the PCB around the failed capacitor. Some guys notice a smell like 'fish' emanating from bad caps as well (probably hard to tell as most circuit boards smell a little funky...)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    if its cutting out than its most likely a bad caps. pull the ecm and post a pic. if the caps are leaking than it will smell like fish.

Array
    Status
    Menifee, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Some of those soldered joints look like GARBAGE. I would give the board a clean and take a fine tip soldering iron to a bunch of the joints that are looking questionable. As long as you don't jam heaps of heat into it you're not going to make it any worse.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Menifee, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Some of those soldered joints look like GARBAGE. I would give the board a clean and take a fine tip soldering iron to a bunch of the joints that are looking questionable. As long as you don't jam heaps of heat into it you're not going to make it any worse.
    so would you say this is not stock? or are you talking about the brown marks? should i just replace it with a refurb one? im no expert on this so if you could point them out id be very greatful.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Unfortunately those are factory... I would play it by ear (or eye, in this case) and add a dab of solder where the joints are sketchy. Refurbs can be just as bad - sometimes worse. We have had a few members that have had dud ECM's that had refurb stickers on them (really crap solder jobs...) Clean the board with isopropyl alcohol and a small brush to gently scrub the crap off the joints and use liquid flux before touching up the joints. It would be ideal to use a de-soldering iron before doing the patch up but if this isn't something you'll be intending to do again in a hurry, it's not worth the investment. You can do this no problemo - just be thorough and use a small tipped iron for control. I'll add a video just for the soldering content -

https://youtu.be/5Pxuf94fdRQ?t=326 (this guy is pretty good and the UHF radio that he's repairing is similar in construction and lay out to your ECM)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123