Fuel pump is what I would change first.

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67
    im gonna do that then if that aint it then the distributor just didnt want to pull the fuel tank

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It's not that bad of a job.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    It's not that bad of a job.
    It is when the tank hasn't been off in 20 years

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by 92bluemax View Post
    It is when the tank hasn't been off in 20 years

Nothing a blow torch and a good impact can't get loose or break off. LoL
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ya, a torch on a fuel tank - that will remove it along with the rest of the truck when the leak you didn't know you had ignites...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I had a similar problem, I replaced the fuel filter first, didn't solve the problem. I pulled the distributor cap and found the terminal in the cable going to the ignition had turned to ash. I replaced the cap, rotor, and all the cables and it runs fine. I don't know what caused this problem but I hope it's solved. any input on possible causes is welcome.

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Distributor cap,rotor button ,plugs,wires are just 1 year old with not alot of miles on them

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Check return line (back to tank) for fuel flow (volume and pressure). I have a place in my return line that I can undo a hase clamp to check it. It should flow decently a stream while truck is idling. If its jumpy or varies, MOST likely is pinhole air leak somewhere between tank and engine (usually B4 the pump) unless pump is in the tank on your truck, of course (and why most vehicles have pumps in tank or as close as psossible to it, lessens the air leal/loss of vacuum maddening issues you're describing here. I haven't done this yet but next problem I will put a short clear hose in the "test area of flex (non metal) hose from tank and to tank) look for bubbles..Its a dead give away for this issue..which acts like every, and i mean EVERY other tank, clogged filter, weak pump, bad pump, stopped up in tank pickup, etc, etc, etc! It causes the pump to "loose prime" and vary fuel pressure, include aireated fuel, hot fuel (vapor lock) and all manner of frustrating issues.
    If you are at wits end, I will simply run a whole new flex line from tank to pump and smell for leak after pump (or filter). If pinhole is after filter or pump, it will leak, and smell, of course. THIS WOULD BE A NON SMOKING REPAIR!! Please!! hehe
    OK GL with it, and if you need help, post it, PM me, or call my cell. Camoit has it or PM email me thillskier@yahoo.com..

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    OK new distributor yesterday from richporter. problem not solved yet,it will drive fine then when i shut it off,won't re start for about 10 mins, then start and cutoff, maybe 6 times,then run fine ! 5 gallons of gas and a match is seriously crossing my mine. coil is next SMH!!!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Did you do the fuel pump? Also take it to some one with a scan tool. It might shed some light on it. It can also test things with out pulling parts. Like the crank sensor.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Just ordered a new fuel pump !!! I'm not buying anymore parts after this! if it won't solve the problem,I'm parting it out and sending the rest to the crusher,and getting another Chevrolet..... The new coil, Battery,distributor,and Icm solved nothing !! I'm at my whits end and winter is coming fast and I need a reliable 4x4 {SMFH}

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Any chance your ECM is on its way out? Your trucks age is about right if it hasn't already been replaced.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by lush90 View Post
    Any chance your ECM is on its way out? Your trucks age is about right if it hasn't already been replaced.
    If it's a '92, I'll second that. The ECUs on the FI trucks are notorious for having cracked solder joins.

The ECU is down and to the right of the glove box area bolted to the cab wall under the plastic kick panel.

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    so far the ecm is out,cause it doesn't act like that is the problem

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    just put on new fuel pump,ignition switch,and still cuts off while driving down the road with no warning at all. It just dies with no warning at all!!! i got a mechanic coming over next friday to help find the culprit. when it cuts off there is no fire from the coil

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67

Thumbs up

ok this Pos still aint running...had Ecm checked and soldered, and a new main relay. it will run for a few minutes and cut off. im done with dumping money in this thing...when it cuts off there is no fire to the coil...this truck has broke my spirit to work on a vehicle. might be parting out soon.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 92bluemax View Post
    ok this Pos still aint running...had Ecm checked and soldered, and a new main relay. it will run for a few minutes and cut off. im done with dumping money in this thing...when it cuts off there is no fire to the coil...this truck has broke my spirit to work on a vehicle. might be parting out soon.
    Don't give up on it!!! I don't know the particulars of your truck itself... but try to find a Mitsu factory tech who can take a peek at it on the side with a scan tool and the knowledge of the ins and outs of the MPFI motor it has. I know it's frustrating but take a step back and breathe. Don't throw any more parts at it w/o a qualified Mitsu tech looking at it. If that's not in the realm of possibility I don't know what to tell you. Go in the back door of the dealer and find out who wants to make a few bucks on the side. The older the better...grey hair is good. If the dealer principal (owner) and/or GM is not averse to the techs doing side work- bribe one with a gift card or whatever it takes. I can tell you one thing...the fix is cheaper than buying another truck and then doing what all it may need if it's used. That I can promise you.

Good luck!

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Owners/GMs can be sticklers about the "conflict of interest" thing but there has to be a dealer tech who can help you on the side. Don't make a big deal about it at the dealer. Some dealers look at it as if it is money out of their pocket therefore the conflict of interest thing. The dealer I worked at was awful about it therefore we almost had to "talk in code" regarding that.

Array
    Status
    Rockledge, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I had a similar problem when I first got my truck. Everything went bad in a few months. I replaced fuel pump, filter, plugs/wires, and ecu. All those were bad and when replaced it ran for another 2 weeks then did the cut off thing. Drive me nuts for a while then I have in and gave it to a local mechanic. It made him crazy but eventually he found the problem, a plastic connector had burned up. All he did was cut it out and solder the wires thru, ran great since then.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsnewdirection View Post
    I had a similar problem when I first got my truck. Everything went bad in a few months. I replaced fuel pump, filter, plugs/wires, and ecu. All those were bad and when replaced it ran for another 2 weeks then did the cut off thing. Drive me nuts for a while then I have in and gave it to a local mechanic. It made him crazy but eventually he found the problem, a plastic connector had burned up. All he did was cut it out and solder the wires thru, ran great since then.
    Yeah sometimes you have to just have to just surrender wave the white flag and bite the bullet. You've been pulling your hair out for a few months now. When they're running, they are the lowest operating cost vehicles anywhere in the world. Hands down. And you never give up on a Mighty Max like he said he thought of doing.

Somebody can find the problem. They just need time with it.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    My '91 had a cut out problem like you are describing. Sometimes it would restart while coasting just by popping the clutch, sometimes it had to sit for a while. I finally found my problem by holding the key on start and wiggling all the different wire looms under the dash until it started. It turned out one of the spade connecters inside a plastic connecting plug had slipped apart and was barely making contact. I cut the plug out and soldered/heat shrank the wires and haven't had a problem in over a year.
    1990 MM 4x4 3.0
    1991 MM 4x4 3.0 Diamonte
    1994 MM 2wd (work in progress)

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    I cant even locate the obd 1 connector! it isn't under the dash anywhere to be seen... Does anybody know if any other ecm will work on my 92 mm with a 3.0 with a 5 speed ?

I drove it 8 miles and it cut off 9 times in 8 miles,.All wiring looks good,and I put in a new main relay,it ran for 3 minutes and cut off and wouldn't restart,I plugged my old relay up and it ran perfect for a week,then back to my same old problem,it cuts off just like you turn off the key. You wait awhile and it fires back up but wont run long..There are no mitsu dealers near me anymore, and I like my old truck

Array
    Status
    Buckingham,VA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    I just need a new direction to go with this
    Last edited by 92bluemax; 02-16-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: double post

Array
    Status
    Bakersfield,CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Check the connection @ the ignition coil. Tap. It with the engine running. If it hesitate / engine stumbles or shuts off you have a faulty connection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast