Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6

Antifreeze Mix and coolant aditives

Been trying to cool down my 4.3, but this goes for all you too.
    I've known this for years, but I've forgot more than most of have learned. lol
    Anywho this is about keep your engine cool. So many knew products to keep your engine cooler, some say 30 degrees. If your engine runs hot you'll flunk your emissions sniff test, as I have found out. More antifreeze isn't better, it's thick and doesn't loose the heat and doesn't flow through the radiator as fast.
    I noticed at work a bottle labeled WaterWetter and joked about it as we washed our hands. this week I find out exactly what waterwetter is, in some cases it drops your engine temp as much as 20 degrees.
    Then there's "Below 40" that sells at Speedway.com (cheapest on the internet) with testimonies of huge temperature drops.
    And we have Royal Purple with much of the same claim.

I've been diluting my antifreeze to get to that certain maintainable temp and I also I tried a bottle of Water Wetter made by Red Line, thier claim to fame:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pApWgZdozQA
    Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
    Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
    Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
    Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature. I'm sure my ratio is off, I can always add more just not yet.
    Now here's Kwick Kool coolant additive, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uir4wiwEy90
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I have always mixed 50/50 and use Napa Kool. Part Number: FIL 4056
    It's a DCA additive, AKA: Nitrite-nitrate-borate, sodium hydroxide corrosion inhibitor . It is to stop corrosion and electrolysis between aluminum and iron and help prevent pump caveatting. But you need a special test kit to make sure you don't over concentrate the antifreeze. There are the strip type test and the one I use Part Number 8T-5296 from Caterpillar uses titration drops that you need to count and in order to find the parts per million of additive. Then when the coolant changes color to clear you know exactly how close to the proper level of conditioned you have.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    I run 60/40 Dex cool in the 302 even though I hate GM, its works better then any other coolant. Friend had a Turbo car that ran 210-220 degrees all the time even with a 160 Degree thermostat in it. He put in Dex cool and it dropped his temp to around 190. The other day it was 104F here and even in traffic I was sitting at 180 degrees at the hottest, Truck sits at around 170 after its warmed up.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Don't forget if you buy concentrated version, Non pre mixed coolant always use (DISTILLED) water to mix it with. Also is true if you do a complete flush and the reason for this is distilled water does not contain all the heavy minerals that will clog your coolant system.

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    So I have a question. I just flushed the system in my 2.4 and put fresh 50/50 with water wetter and now it overheats quickly. But before that, even with the rust brown liquid in the system, it ran cool. What's going on here?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Several things must be looked at. You used a flush? That may have put a bunch of junk into the radiator top.
    Remove radiator and reverse flush with a hose. Then check for vacuum leeks. That can make them run hot.

#1 the thermostat was dry for a time and may have become stuck closed. Replace T stat and gasket. $10.00
    #2 There may be air in the system. Did you turn on the heater when running after filling it?
    #3 Is the cap good? $6.00
    #4 Is there a fan shroud? If not find one. The Montero has a metal one that will fit. Junk yard.
    #5 Is there any Resistance to the fan clutch? If it spins free with zero resistance then it should be replaced. $25,00
    #6 Check water pump for movement in the shaft. $40.00
    #7 Radiator is plugged. $ 40.00
    You can pick up parts from RockAuto.com if needed. We may even have a discount code you can use in the general dissuasion area.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    What makes the better radiator; Aluminum or Copper?
    http://www.caparadiator.com/aluminumvscopper.html

How big a radiator you have? Is it one of those aluminum radiators?
    copper/brass=better heat transfer and cools faster, overall more efficient
    aluminum=cheaper and lighter and doesn't do as well as copper/brass

This is compared to identical fin and tube designs.
    When purchasing a radiator pay special attention to the tube and fin sizes to fit your vehicle.
    Last edited by BradMph; 08-09-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Several things must be looked at. You used a flush? That may have put a bunch of junk into the radiator top.
    Remove radiator and reverse flush with a hose. Then check for vacuum leeks. That can make them run hot.

#1 the thermostat was dry for a time and may have become stuck closed. Replace T stat and gasket. $10.00
    #2 There may be air in the system. Did you turn on the heater when running after filling it?
    #3 Is the cap good? $6.00
    #4 Is there a fan shroud? If not find one. The Montero has a metal one that will fit. Junk yard.
    #5 Is there any Resistance to the fan clutch? If it spins free with zero resistance then it should be replaced. $25,00
    #6 Check water pump for movement in the shaft. $40.00
    #7 Radiator is plugged. $ 40.00
    You can pick up parts from RockAuto.com if needed. We may even have a discount code you can use in the general dissuasion area.
    I used water to flush the system. The thermostat is new with a new gasket. I have 90's ford Taurus electric fan. The water pump and radiator are new. The only thing I could think it would be is the radiator cap. But how could that overheat the motor?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if the cap does not pressurize the system properly, it will allow the coolant to boil - the pressure on the system raises the boilingpoint. A bad cap also lets in air that can lead to air pockets that can cavitate the water pump which means it stops circulating the water in the system.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well i'll have to buy a new cap tomorrow. i thought i heard a pressure leak coming from the cap.. i hope that's all it is