Thread: Gen 1 85 MM Rear Leaf Spring Compatible with Mitsu Montero Sport Rear Leaf Springs

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55

Gen 1 85 MM Rear Leaf Spring Compatible with Mitsu Montero Sport Rear Leaf Springs

Does anyone have the Measurements for the Gen 1 Mitsu Mighty Max rear leaf springs? I've been researching and the Mitsu Montero Sport rear springs and shackles look to be a match but not 100% yet. If someone does have the measurements, could you please post.

It'd be a cheap alternative to fabricating new and there are plenty of Montero Sports 94 - 00 in the junkyard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    They're identical to 2nd Gen, FWIW.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    copy that. Thank you.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    So FYI, the rear leaf spring shackles are EXACTLY the same on the 1999 Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport. The leaf springs are also almost exactly identical except for a larger front bolt and different bolt head. Besides that, they fit right in! I suspect that most of the rear parts are the same as well. I'll be hunting them down in the junkyard next...

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Awesome find, thank you!

The 2nd Generation Montero Sport/Challenger is supposedly just a Mighty Max/L200/Triton frame with an SUV body bolted on top.

Is there any way to know which Montero Sports to look for that came with leafs AND discs? Because the track, I think, is only 2" wider and the axle should bolt in if you want the bigger rear diff and discs. And no messing around with the parking brake.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    So I found this website :http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...PICKUP#Matches for matching rims.

MITSUBISHIMONTERO SPORT1992-04 Metric: 6 X 139.7
    Standard: 6 X 5.5
    12 X 1.5 108.0

Most of the 92 - 04 had the same features, but I believe from what I saw in the yard most 2000 and up used a rear spring rather than a rear leaf suspension.

I didn't get into specific measurements just yet, but from being under that lil sucker all weekend and looking at the Montero Sport in the yard, they look exactly the same, so since these parts were right on the money, it's be pretty safe to assume that there's much more in common.

So I ended up saving roughly $930.00. I had an estimate from a fabricator for about $250 per set + installation ($350) + Ubolts ($90).

I got the springs for $25 per set and all the brackets, shackles etc... for another $10! BOOM!

The bushings kicked my ass on the driver side, the passenger side was much easier since I had all the replacement parts, I just cut the shackles off 1, 2, 3...

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Was that Sport disc or drum?

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    I believe rear drum on the Montero Sport. At least pre 2000's.