Thread: no emmisions testing in connecticut, what could I or should I strip away

Array
    Status
    connecticut
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G64B

no emmisions testing in connecticut, what could I or should I strip away

is there any smog stuff under the hood I could eliminate that causes headaches for us for smooth running and what not? or just keep it all in place?

its an 88 2.0 w/ 54k on it

Array
    Status
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I forget which member said this but its something along the lines of "getting rid of emissions stuff is as simple as taking it off and throwing it in the trash"

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    If you have no smog thn I'd remove all that I could. The egr valve and hoses goin ino the exhaust,etc at least

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    what carb do you have? stock carb? Stripping out smog stuff will benefit much more if you do it when replacing stock carb to a weber carb. It will become all self explanatory. If you still have a stock carb, I have no idea how it will act if you start plugging things up and removing stuff and you upset the balance of vacuum or mixture. I would not throw stuff away either. Smog items are a valuable item and saving or selling is your best choice.
    The cat is something that can help performance, remove it and gut it and then reinstall the case back into vehicle

Array
    Status
    connecticut
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G64B
    yeah I won't strip stuff off until and if swapping to a weber, which i seem to lean towards more and more, I've really gotta get a haynes book, so I know what's what

Array
    Status
    connecticut
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G64B
    got the truck to run beautifully today without an air filter, which i've read says the bowl vent is failed, but now I'm OK keeping the stock carb, so what can I delete as far as EGR and what not if I keep the stocker carb??

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Haynes books are in our manuals section of the forum. Have weber book too!

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Brad, REALLY?!?! Cat HELPS performance? Nom wonder hot air helps (my) engine.. Attack, I don't care!! This is an IDIOT!! mis informed, NEVER true post!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    read his post again - he said take it off, gut and replace it. I know you have issues with BradMph, but be sure you have all the facts before jumpng on someone. BTW, I had to put the cat back on to have a new exhaust system installed, and even with a Weber and a header on Geronimo, he now runs better at the low end due to the slight restriction caused by the 2.25" free flow cat, with no loss of power at the top end.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    1988 2.0s have all emissions equipment that was available back then, thermostatic air cleaner (that's the chimney for hot air coming off the headers going up to the gooseneck in the air cleaner housing), air injection (exhaust pulse type), EGR, PCV, a cat and an O2 sensor. You can basically get rid of all of that stuff and plug the ports (except the PCV!) if you get a Weber, which I highly recommend. The Weber upgrade gets rid of about 5 miles worth of vacuum lines and clean up the engine bay a lot.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Pennyman, You are correct! and when I am WRONG I will man up and say it. I reread the post and see he meant it could HELP performance if gutted and or removed. I 100% agree with that statement. I should do as the great Coach "Bear Bryant" is quoted in the new book on newsstands now. He suggests not saying much right after a game (or when first seeing an issue). Sit on it, overnight, first. THEN see if it still seems wrong, and comment only THEN, if you MUST! I apologize!