Thread: bogs under load and sooty black exhaust.....

Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    connecticut
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G64B

bogs under load and sooty black exhaust.....

OK, so its an 88 2.0 and its got a rough idle when cold, then clears up when warm, no smoke color, but if in park and rev it high, it literally will spray black soot, like i'm over spraying powder coat, and at 1/2 to full throttle it will stubble and bog

and when driving going up hills or under 3/4 throttle load it will bog terribly

truck is stock w/ 54k on it all, and I just inherted it, only things I did so far are new PCV valve, and carb cleaner sprayed the carb, but still need to get in there and tooth brush scrub it

do all signs above point to the carb being the culprit? and its all stock, so shouldn't need to step up to a hotter plug, as that'd be a band aid on the real problem right

the truck's running rich right??

thanks in advance, and I know people say to swithc to the weber carb, but how much do those run, I'm not in the mood to throw alot of money into the truck, should I just rebuild the stock carb, or does it just need a healthy cleaning

also I gotta change the fuel filter and I've put a bottle of seafoam in and full tank of hi-test gas

thx

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It could be a plugged cat. and bad O2 sensor or vacuum lines that are rotted. Start with he vacuum lines and O2 sensor. If you put a vacuum gage on it and start it where you can see it it should hold vacuum and not decrease. If it starts out around 16 and goes down just after a second or 3 it has a restriction and the cat can be plugged. Depending on where you live and SMOG laws get rid of it if you can.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Hi octane fuel makes no difference and is actually a waste of money unless your truck is pinging from low octane fuel.

Check this out http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...+Best+for+Your

Array
    Status
    connecticut
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G64B
    no more smog laws for my year truck.....so with that said....what can I strip off to make it more efficient? I've also noticed that it runs tip top and no stammerring when parked and running without the air cleaner on, and me hand throttling

so with that said, does it better point to the carb and less to the O2 sensor and Cat?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you don't have SMOG stick a weber on it and pull the cat. Then be done with all of the problems.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com