Array
    Status
    lexington, ky.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Need a exhaust valve for 82 2.6l

I can't seem to win for losing. Replaced head gasket, put head back on, exhaust valve was sticking. Removed head again and after spending a 1/2 day getting the keepers loose(? why they would not break loose). Found out the valve was bent. Cannot find a valve. Does anyone have a source for a exhaust valve for a '82 2.6l? The dimensions are: Head= 35mm or 1.38", diam.= 8mm. or 0.315", and length = 112mm or 4.4" with square keeper. What or where can I find the exact valve specs. for '82 d-50 2.6l?

Thanks.
    Last edited by robertson5347; 07-10-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    www.Rockauto.com has them listed for 83 MM or 82 Ram50 for just over $6.00 each.

Array
    Status
    lexington, ky.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks, ordered them. Hope these are the right ones. They have no specs. about the valves. Beck/arnley has none either for this part no. Probably discontinued.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    did you order valve seals too? good idea to replace those when you had a bent valve tweaking it. They are easy to replace, pinch nose plyers and pull, replace with new. Then again, why not lap them valves too. Another easy thing to do. Not trying to make you busy, just thought if head was off...might as well.

Array
    Status
    lexington, ky.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It appears the reason of the bent valve is it hit the top of the piston. How is this possible? I set the timing chain as indicated in the manual. Piston at tdc, matched timing chain marks to marks on crank and cam gear, both valves were closed. Cam gear pin at top and crank mark as the same position as in the manual. I'm certain this was set correctly as I checked and rechecked about 10 times before I put the front cover back on because I was uncertain about the timing and wanted to make certain it was set right. Your thoughts appreciated. I'm getting fed up with this vehicle and my wife is threatening to divorce me if I don't do something about this truck, spent all spring working on this thing and it's not like I haven't been inside this engine before (overhauled and changed heads). What can you say!!!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I hate to say, but somewhere a mistake was made. After you do a fix and have removed the head and what not, you need to do certain procedures after you replace everything back. With the timing cover off, ratchet the engine Clockwise only by using a socket on the crankshaft bolt. Do a complete rotation back to TDC and if all seems ok, finish by doing another full rotation back to your TDC and starting point. Check all your timing marks again and again. If your not positive the #1 piston is at TDC Compression stroke, pull the spark plug out and use a screwdriver and lightly feel inside for piston to come to TDC. If your at TDC compression, the intake and exhaust valve rockers on #1 cylinder will have play and rock back and forth. In addition the distributor rotor will be pointed at #1 Spark plug wire connector. If have adjustable rockers, they need to be readjusted before starting, then readjusted after warmed up to their proper settings.
    Hand rotating the engine with a ratchet can help solve the crash of a interference of the piston to valve. Listen to engine air escape as you rotate it and watch the engine working with the distributor. You can see when each piston and valve is doing their job. Go slow and have plugs out if you like to check pistons as they rise up for compression and exhaust. Watch your firing order also during the process.
    Whatever happened has happened and needs to be repaired the most cost efficient way. Buy your wife some flowers and if she doesn't understand the working of an engine, don't try to school her it only frustrates them. Think of it as top secret and by all means hide your check book, lol. Just think, your actually lucky only one valve got bent, not all of them.

When each piston reaches TDC of it's stroke, those rockers that go to that specific cylinder better darn well be loose or your going to have a crash.

Array
    Status
    lexington, ky.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Received these valves. They are not the correct ones. These are about the same dimensions as the stock 88 head except about 2 mm longer. How many valve variations were in the 82 head? The valve dimensions that I need is length 4.4"=112mm., 1.376"=35mm head, 0.31"= 8mm stem.

Array
    Status
    lexington, ky.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the info. Most of this I did, this is why I can't figure a bent valve. If the timing chain marks alignment lines up and the valves are fully closed is it possible for it to be out of time?

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes, especially if the timing belt/ chain was ever replaced before. Whom ever was doing it could have f it away and could be off by a couple of teeth.