Thread: The MSD Thread.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    So from what I have read so far.. I out of luck adding the old MSD 6200 6A that I had in my parts bin into my 91 Ram 50.

According to the instructions I could trigger it with the Negative line that would have went to the coil.

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I am trying to date this box and the transistors have a 9304 date code so I'm assuming 1993, 4th month

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thread resurrection time!

Is there a walk-through or wiring diagram for running a MSD Blaster 2 coil without using an MSD 6A box? I'd like to drop a 6A box in this truck eventually, but right now I'd like to do this as (cheap) simple as possible. I'm wanting to run the stock distributor if possible or a modified stock distributor if necessary, go as simple as possible with wiring and try to get the truck running proper with the least amount of fiddling and hassle. I've got the stock ballast resistor, a (bad) stock coil, and all of the wiring is still there. Can it be done and function properly without smoking the stock ICM?

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    geezer???
    Please do chime in

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I wish I had some input on the MSD6A. The only time I've upgraded my ignition was swapping a stock coil for a Bosch T-coil, 8.0mm stainless steel spiral wound leads and performance plugs. It was punching out about 40kV to the plugs and seemed to work really well but I didn't have anything to compare it against personally. I do know there are fake MSD's lurking on the net - dry/transformer type coils are cheaper to get and were fitted as standard on Mitsubishis, so I don't have to stress about resistance values or cooking something. I actually bought a Diamond brand recently (which is a Mitsu unit and I got it insanely cheap here in Oz from ebay) for my truck and I'll be getting decent leads, plugs and a new noise suppressor soon.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm sorry, I'm basically clueless here. I never got the chance before now to get into the details of an older vehicle, so I'm just trying to figure out what wires go where and what plugs into what. I know the bare bones basics, but a nudge in the right direction to some literature that explains everything would be hugely appreciated.

I still have more reading to do in the wiki section here, and I have a lot to learn, but that's kinda why I'm asking so many questions.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    despite the odd looking coil in your truck, it still works the same as a blaster 2 coil. I have to pull out a manual to figure out the wiring for you, or go to the manuals section and look for yourself.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm looking for it myself, I realize I jumped the gun here but I'm really glad there's experience on here, because I'm dumb and rush headlong into things. All the time.

I am going to get a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor for the Blaster 2 coil, because that's what the documentation says it needs, so that's what I'm going to try and find.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123