Array
    Status
    kern county
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

rear axle oil seal

hi everyone does anybody know how to remove the thick retainer ring behind the bearing on the axle hub I read that you have to grind off the ring to remove it but that thing will take forerver to grind I was wondering if I heat it up will it come off easier butt I don't want to mess up the shaft bending it with the heat or something any ideas????

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    If you are trying to remove the bearing from the rear axle shaft it has to be pulled off with a puller

Array
    Status
    Roanoke,va
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I checked 2 diff parts stores and I cant find the right puller. everything i have won't fit it, and it needs to be done more so cause of the outter seal leaks like a BOSS. do you have to tap/ knock out the 4 backing plate bolts? since i have the Axle out and all the parts ( inner & outer seals and bearing) should just take it to a shop and have them do it? Really Really Really need to save money and do it my self. but if its to hard I have a shop or 3 that owe me and can get it done on the cheap if not free. but I want to try my self.

please please help!!!
    I love minitrucks ( my first mitsu, but ive worked on them before ) and Saving them from the scrapper ( thats where this 275,000 mile blue 2.4 2wd std cab short box mighty max was headed). but she was in need of every thing. both Inner and outer tie rods ( both sides ) pitman and idler, tag lights rewired, dome light rewire, stereo that works and correctly wired, horn button got pulled and tossed so no horn at all, water pump shaft wobbles more than Mike J Fox, no batt Tie down,oil , air , fuel filters were prob from the 90's, needed rear shoes bad, wiper blades and a belt. got all this done but the rear shoes and Axle seals and bearing in a little less than 2 weeks. so my $300. truck is now more like 700 with lots of strings pulled, Moog parts!!!

im trying to get this fixed by monday... if anyone can help let me know if im doing this right. every mini ive done this too was way diff type Axle.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the bearing is pressed onto the axle, must have the puller to get it off without damage - its the mitsubishi way...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Roanoke,va
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    umm yeah I know you need a puller. I was asking if I find the right puller will it remove the retainer ring or do i need to cut it off and use the puller to get the bearing and race out? or is the puller for the retainer ring after the snap ring is removed.
    Ive seen some say to cut it off ( retainer ring )and you use the puller for mainly the bearing race.If that is so I cant seam to find a new retainer ring anywhere.
    Some people find a way to DIY or make/ redneck some kinda tool or use a BFH.
    Looking for more info than you need a puller.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The puller is a plate, really not a puller in the sense, but it achieves the same outcome. Most the time you can use a chisel to crack the ring off, If you want to keep the ring intact, try applying heat to the ring to expand it and then give it a sharp hit to free it. That's probably the only way to get it free off the axel.

Take a look at one of my past threads when I had a bearing go out. Though I had some idiot at a garage screw things up, I did do some resourcing on the subject. The puller can be made from a plate of steal and drilled holes to force the bearings and items off the axel.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-Replace/page3
    Check Post #52

images.jpgimages.png
    Last edited by BradMph; 03-15-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Oh Mitsubishi...

oh you.jpg

LOL
    Last edited by noahwins; 03-16-2015 at 11:31 AM.