I'll start off by saying it pains me to dump $$ in a truck that's worth under $1,500 BUT it was my grandfathers, has under 100k miles and its more useful then I can imagine.

Every 2 years I have problems with smog. This truck has seen 2 cats, a new carb, new plugs, new 02, new wires etc and ALWAYS fails.

2 years ago I found a shop that for the "price" of a smog got it to pass. Well 2 years later and it's definitely not run by the same guy and he was a little reluctant when I called.

EGR light is currently on. I pulled the EGR, it hold a vacuum. Cleaned it. It was VERY black inside. Installed with new gasket. EGR light still on after battery disconnect for 30+ min.

I'm going to get it smogged later today or tomorrow and despite being an optimist, think its going to fail. It doesnt smoke at all, runs like a beast. Hauled a 500lb motorocyle up 101 (California) averaging 75mph.

Any ideas on what it could be? The cat in installed was an inexpensive one before the new Cali rules, maybe thats bad.

Read adding a bottle or 2 of 99% rubbing alcohol helps with NOX. Truck ran rich last time.

As for disabling EGR, how do I do that?