Status
    Sidon,ms
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Flywheel ring gear removal

I have a rough flywheel with a good ring gear and a good flywheel
    With a bad ring gear. I don't see how it comes apart.
    Do all ram 50 flywheels have replaceable ring gears?
    How do I get it off?
    Thanks
    Zz

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    RING GEAR REPLACEMENT

If the ring gear teeth on the tighten converter are damaged, the torque converter must be replaced. The ring gear cannot be separated or reinstalled individually.

If a ring gear is damaged on the flywheel of a manual transmission car, it is usually cheaper and easier to buy a new flywheel assembly than to change the gear. If you possess the proper equipment for heating and handling the ring gear, the procedure is as follows:

1.With the flywheel removed from the car, tap around the ring gear to loosen it and remove it from the flywheel.

An alternate method is to drill a 0.39 in. (10mm) hole between any two teeth on the gear, being careful not to drill into the flywheel. Mount the flywheel in a vise and split the ring with a hammer and sharp chisel.

WARNING

Do NOT heat the ring gear or flywheel during removal. The gear cannot be removed when heated.

2.Heat the new ring gear to 572°F (300°C). Use heavy gloves and tongs to manipulate the gear. Since the required temperature is more than twice the boiling point of water and well above the flame point of paper, take special care to keep anything flammable out of the area.
    3.Position the ring gear onto the flywheel. It should align easily. If it does not, tap it lightly with a brass punch to get it in position.
    4.Allow the ring gear and flywheel to air cool for a period of hours. Do not attempt to cool the metal with water, oil or other fluids.
    5.Install the flywheel and tighten the bolts to specification.
    0900c15280088c4c.jpg

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I have swapped them before. Just go around the ring gear with a BIG punch and knock the old bad one off. Then pop it in the oven at 525 and cook for 20 minutes. Then pull it out and set it on the flywheel with in 15 seconds. Tap it down if necessary. Don't put it on backyards. I have also used a torch to put on the new ones. Oxy Acetylene thats the hard way.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Sidon,ms
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Drilled a couple of holes and knocked it off.
    What does it cost to get one resurfaced?
    I called a local shop and asked they said $65 an hour. I can get a new Flywheel with ring gear shipped for $87.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    $25 to have mine done and it's being done with my shortblock rebuild right now. $65 is a ripoff, Not like the flywheel is 3 feet in diameter. Its just a little bigger then a brake disk, Ask them if they charge $65 for disk brake grinding, lol or tell them to get it done in 15 minutes you'll do it. Not your fault they are so slow it takes an hour to do it.