Upon my last thread concerning the jet valve elimination kit and how and if it could benefit me, I read a couple of posts from learned, well versed users that convinced me that the stock mechanical pump was delivering too much gas at low engine speeds with the Weber conversion- causing a myriad of small but nagging driveability issues including dieseling/run on after shut off and low speed engine surging in the lower gears. It all makes sense, so you sold me on the long overdue upgrade to an external electric pump.

To make a long story short, I went to the local CarQuest parts store to get a Carter #108-P4070 because that seemed to be the consensus choice, even though I saw a few users who had success with other brands of pumps including Holley and AC-Delco.

(CarQuest is a pretty big parts store chain in my area. Even though most of their marketing thrust is franchised dealers, independents, and other full service facilities, they do sell retail over the counter too.) Plus they have a location 2 blocks from my house. So that's where I went.

I explained to the nice chap behind the counter what I was doing to what kind of vehicle and he said he did not have the Carter P4070, but what he did have was a universal pump that he was sure would fit my needs- it was a universal pump manufactured by Facet. They are a U.S. based company that is joined at the hip with Purolator.

The one I held in my hand was a model # CPF41500. 4-7 PSI with 35 GPH. In other words the closest thing to to the P4070 but at about half of the flow. 35GPH seemed more than enough flow for my stock engine with no planned mods. I just want a smooth stocking running engine.

Howeva...the CarQuest website lists a couple of other Facet pump choices, one of which is a 1.5-4 PSI at 30GPH. The pumps can be seen in the upper right corner of this PDF.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/ca...1/355.html#354

So it occurs to me that the 4-7 PSI model would be best mounted near the stock filter under the bed. (Which is what I had planned to do.) But it seems to me the 1.5-4 PSI model could be mounted under hood in the left front fender well area. (In the neighbor hood of the coil or original "ECU". I prefer to do it that way because as a multiple stroke victim that makes life easier for me.

So will the 1.5-4 PSI model provide adequate fuel delivery at my preferred under hood location? I don't see why it wouldn't. In fact, it looks tailor-made for the Weber which only requires 2-2.5 PSI of pressure.

Over pressurizing the Weber needle and seat is a valid concern, so wouldn't the 4-7 PSI model stand a chance of doing the same thing? Albeit less severe?

I want to fix these nagging problems for good, and I cannot overemphasize the fact that this motor will never be modded for more HP. Not.gonna.happen.

So what think ye? As always, many thanks for your input, and looking forward to your responses. You guys are great!

P.S.- the Facet pumps are 67.00 bucks, so they are right in the ballpark cost wise when compared to the Carter...