Thread: Facet electric fuel pump?

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Correction- the "phony Weber" is a 34DGEC- the genuine Weber is a 34DCEV...

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    And the conversion kit is a K610 BTW...not a K611...

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Produ...oductCode=K610

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Ok, I'm just waiting for UPS now.

Tell you what though, that carb is never going to power another vehicle ever. LOL

I had to disassemble it to where I could access that booger of a mounting nut. I could see and hear parts falling out of the thing.

That sumbitch is DONE.

I should get the new one Thurs and be running a couple hours after it arrives.

At least the dude gave me a serious break on the price.

Not only that, that jet kit I bought won't go to waste either...

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Good info especially for those looking at doing the Weber conversion. Damned if you do, damned if don't, nice to hear you setting the shit right. so just take the old pos carb out fishing; you just might get your money back and save you on buying weights for couple years.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_ja View Post
    Good info especially for those looking at doing the Weber conversion. Damned if you do, damned if don't, nice to hear you setting the shit right. so just take the old pos carb out fishing; you just might get your money back and save you on buying weights for couple years.
    Talking with that guy at Pierce really yielded good info. Weber Direct in Haupauge, NY sells a good number of these "counterfeit" Webers (I don't know what else to call it) and the guy empathized with my saga. Cheap junk knock-off of a Weber is what it really is. Can't wait to junk the motherfucker.

The silver lining is that I am finally going to get the genuine Weber with it's durability and tune ability that everybody raves about.

This thing is going to purr like a kitten with that real Weber on there.

Should be here tomorrow (Thurs 7/18).

The receipt that I have from 6/2007 lists a website of Europartsdirect.com and Weber Carbs Direct. THEY SELL JUNK.

The catalog # for what I bought was WK611-34. That's the part number.

The part # that Pierce Manifold sold me was a K610. (see my link above)

Oh well live and learn...this thing is going to run as good as it did before the factory carb took a dump.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Sounds like my Viair Compressor I ordered from Street beat custom's after it blew up 2 weeks ago I found out it was a clone. Phoned them and they said To bad it's over 30 days since you bought it (104 days since I got it), phoned the credit card and they said they could only reimburse me for 90 days but they now have a listing for the company for fraud. Got a hold of Viair and told them what happened, they replied they couldn't help me BUT they were going to go after Street beat for copy right infringment. Hope they go down in flames.............

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    Sounds like my Viair Compressor I ordered from Street beat custom's after it blew up 2 weeks ago I found out it was a clone. Phoned them and they said To bad it's over 30 days since you bought it (104 days since I got it), phoned the credit card and they said they could only reimburse me for 90 days but they now have a listing for the company for fraud. Got a hold of Viair and told them what happened, they replied they couldn't help me BUT they were going to go after Street beat for copy right infringment. Hope they go down in flames.............
    I am not sure how Weber the carb making company plays into my saga, and if they (WeberDirect) can (legally) do what they do. Just to prevent what happened to me from happening to someone else, there perhaps should be a sticky about WeberDirect. JMO...

If anything, Weber Direct represents these carbs as "genuine Weber". They may have been made by a corporate entity that is some subsidiary or division of Weber that makes cheaper shit for world markets. That appears to be how they can get away with it.

The hard work for the conversion was done back in 2007. In 2013 it will consist of 4 mounting bolts and fuel and throttle connections. Piece of cake.

I have tolerated a good deal of driveability problems because I just didn't know any better. The 'running on' was the worst and it kind of ticks me off that I had to put up with it. I have read a good deal of the content of this board, and I have to admit I have never come across similar issues to mine with a genuine Weber. In the back of my head, I would be thinking "why does my truck do this stuff? Why mine? Well now I know why. It was just me. Sure they will work, but there is basically no tuneabilty. You are pretty much stuck with the "out of the box" state of tune.

The retail price for the conversion kit from Pierce Manifolds was 283.95 Mike is the guy that I talked to, and he gave me the good hearted price of 213.00 plus S&H. I say promote the business here because I paid 279.95 in 2007 to WeberDirect for that non-tunable POS they sold me.

Waiting for the UPS man...

I cannot wait to open that box. According to Mike at Pierce, nowhere on the WeberDirect carb is the word "Weber" or the Weber trademark cast into it. That seems to be the foolproof way to determine if it is a genuine Weber.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Alright it's in my hands.

It looks to be slightly different, but I can tell it's a quality piece. The choke blades are coated with zinc phosphate or something that gives a "brassy" look. The ones on my 2007 counterfeit are already rusting.

The choke is on the opposite side, but the wire should be long enough. Along with that, I have better access to the mounting nuts. And of course, the primary jet holder is different.

My next post will be "post road test"...

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Weber is out of business...has been for a long while. They sell licensing to manufacturers to make the carbs. Weber Direct and Redline are, as far as I can tell, the largest distributors of "Weber" carbs. I actually talked to a guy yesterday that just bought one from Weber Direct for his MG Midget while his OEM carb goes back to England for a full refurbish. Likes it better than the OEM...

I have a Weber Direct 38/38 and it's a perfectly good piece, if I had a complaint it would be only in fit and finish. Had to smooth a couple pieces around the throttle linkage and choke plates when I got it. Also has the same problem with mounting, complete bugger to get to all the nuts...

The 34 Solex, as far as I understand it, was never made by Weber, just used a basic Weber design. I may not have that all right, but close enough I think.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    It's on, and there is no doubt it is a different carb. Quite similar, but different none the less.

I have to go to Sears in the morning to get a flexible shaft screwdriver that is able to get to the idle mix screw. On the counterfeit, it was on the base on the driver side- easy as pie to get to. Now it's on the RR corner of the carb in an impossible place to get a standard screwdriver in there to adjust. IM-FUCK-ING-possible to get at. I just need a screwdriver with flexible shaft...

One thing I also learned is that the cheapo model that I had was only around 300CFM and the new one is about 385CFM.

There is no doubt it is a high quality piece- much better than the one I took off, that's for sure.

Now it just needs to be tweaked.

I may feddle with the throttle cable hook up to make myself happy in the near future, but not until it cools down a bit. It was 95 today and I despise working on anything when it is that hot.

I put in 150 primary/140 secondary for the main jetting. That may be a tad rich but still smaller than the ones I had at my disposal in the re-jet kit.

What I also need is a flexible socket extension to get at those pesky mounting nuts. Or figure out a better way to mount the thing with cap screws or something.

Regardless, it's on.

The old air cleaner off the counterfeit won't work either, so I need to call Pierce in the morning to get one of those too.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuta73 View Post
    Weber is out of business...has been for a long while. They sell licensing to manufacturers to make the carbs. Weber Direct and Redline are, as far as I can tell, the largest distributors of "Weber" carbs. I actually talked to a guy yesterday that just bought one from Weber Direct for his MG Midget while his OEM carb goes back to England for a full refurbish. Likes it better than the OEM...

I have a Weber Direct 38/38 and it's a perfectly good piece, if I had a complaint it would be only in fit and finish. Had to smooth a couple pieces around the throttle linkage and choke plates when I got it. Also has the same problem with mounting, complete bugger to get to all the nuts...

The 34 Solex, as far as I understand it, was never made by Weber, just used a basic Weber design. I may not have that all right, but close enough I think.
    I think as far as Weber Direct goes, the application weighs heavily in the equation. That WK611-34 that I had was a certifiable POS. DGEC?!?!?

For others, Weber Direct carbs would be fine. I will never recommend them though...

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Dunno how you are for budget on this, but this is a nice setup here:

http://www.amazon.com/K-N-85-8921-Un...N+Weber+Plenum

And add either a basic cone filter or:

http://www.amazon.com/RC-5052AB-Univ...old+air+intake

Not the cheapest route, but allowing the engine to breathe better is never a bad thing. Both in terms of MPG as well as Hp.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Not the cheapest route, but allowing the engine to breathe better is never a bad thing. Both in terms of MPG as well as Hp.
    Holy smokes. LOL. I just want a simple rectangular filter like I had.

Pierce seems reasonable in their prices, and I got the carb from them, so I think they would have a simple filter for that carb.

That truck barely goes 5k a year now, I don't need to spend that kind of money on it. I just need it to run reliably with no fuss.

I would rather get a 6 disc changer. Haha.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Pierce has one for 35.00- That's more than I want to spend, but it looks to be a nice piece like the carb.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/330.htm

The filter housing from Weber Direct is starting to discolor and corrode anyways.

Sorry guys, my experience with Weber Direct has just not been that good. They seem more interested from a company perspective to just ring up sales, at the expense of a quality product. A classic case of me not knowing any better, and with the volume they do, I was just naturally steered towards them when I started my on-line search for a Weber. Oh well.

I think I may drive over the old carb tomorrow when I am done adjusting everything. I am going to crush the shit out of that bastard. ROFL

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by originalowner View Post
    Holy smokes. LOL. I just want a simple rectangular filter like I had.

Pierce seems reasonable in their prices, and I got the carb from them, so I think they would have a simple filter for that carb.

That truck barely goes 5k a year now, I don't need to spend that kind of money on it. I just need it to run reliably with no fuss.

I would rather get a 6 disc changer. Haha.

Hehe, fair enough. As I said, had no idea on yer budget and it IS a nice setup for a Weber.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Well Sears did not have what I needed...but a former co-worker/Toyota tech hooked me up like a wrecker truck.

He loaned me his Skewdriver and that is truly the tool I must have. Turning the handle turns the screwdriver bit. Here is what it is.

http://www.spectools.com/spec.htm

There is no way in hell you can turn that idle mixture screw on a DGEV w/o that tool. Ain't gonna happen. So I am going to order one.

Kind of glad Sears did not have a spring steel/flexible shaft screwdriver, or I would have never stopped at my old workplace to borrow a tool, and therefore not found out about this genius of a tool.

Anywho, I made some adjustments to get it driveable. In a word, the truck now feels "energized"...there is a marked difference from the DGEC...the DGEV is just a 10X better carb overall. It's obvious now that that cheaper version was just inferior in many ways. Thing is, it was not "cheap"...it was 280.00 back in 2007.

I have learned a lot about Weber carbs in the last week- the quality and prices are all over the map. Whichever carb maker was licensed to produce mine did a bang up job. It really is a quality carb- hats off to Pierce Manifolds for delivering fine quality at a competitive price. I have not called them for an air cleaner yet, but I am going to ask them who makes their Weber carbs for them. Redline maybe?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The current Webers are now made in spain off of the original designs - if yours is marked as such they are the good ones. Empi, of 70s VDub fame, now makes a Weber copy, with similar quality to what you described for the weberdirect carb. The original Weber DCEC 34/34 carb was supposed to be an emissions compliant version of the Weber 32/36 DGV series, but was never quite as good. The Solex 34 /34 carb was a work alike carb built by Solex, a weber competitor, and licensed their designs to Mikuni of that and their sidedraft carbs - that line was called Mikuni - Solex. Solex has been gone longer than the Italian Webercompany, but the Spanish Webers are supposed to be the best of the weber type carbs made today.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    The current Webers are now made in spain off of the original designs - if yours is marked as such they are the good ones. Empi, of 70s VDub fame, now makes a Weber copy, with similar quality to what you described for the weberdirect carb. The original Weber DCEC 34/34 carb was supposed to be an emissions compliant version of the Weber 32/36 DGV series, but was never quite as good. The Solex 34 /34 carb was a work alike carb built by Solex, a weber competitor, and licensed their designs to Mikuni of that and their sidedraft carbs - that line was called Mikuni - Solex. Solex has been gone longer than the Italian Webercompany, but the Spanish Webers are supposed to be the best of the weber type carbs made today.
    That's the one I have now...

One thing I am messing with now is trying to get an idle jet into a jet holder. It's nearly impossible to do when they are brand new. If I can't get this damn thing in the holder, the truck won't run... unless I can get it in there or I can find a place that sell these idle jets already installed in the jet holder.

My frustration level is boiling over.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Avoid JT Outfitters for phony weber knock offs. This company has a series of copycat autoparts and have changed names a few times. They are also known as JoeTLC. Those phony Weber carbs are actually pretty strange that they place a sticker on the carb saying it is a weber, but in actuality only that one part they stick the sticker on is branded as Weber, lol. Nice little scheme they got going to sell POS carbs. I got lucky and the one I purchased some years back I sold on Craigslist. I explained truthfully what the carb was and I couldn't get the truck to idle worth a damn and was not on my vehicle for more than a day. The guy understood and bought it anyway and put it on a Samurai.
    My conscience tells me what and what not to do and I definitely did not want this carb to return through my living room window so I gave him the low down on the thing which he knew pretty much on site of viewing the carb. Honesty was the best policy this time, lol.
    The weber I own now was made in Spain and what a piece of quality compared to the JT Outfitters POS. All I did was install the new carb and it ran perfectly.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Alright it's back running again...LOL

I think the problem I had was trying to put a primary jet into a secondary jet holder. I tried a secondary jet and it slid right in. I think they are slightly different in size.

Like I said, the best word to describe how the truck liked the Spanish made Weber is it became "energized". Goofing around on a road test and it actually chirped the RR tire. Ha ha.

The air cleaner is coming from Pacific should be here first part of the week.

The next obstacle is to overcome the throttle cable and throttle shaft interference issue. The threaded rod that houses the cable is about an inch too long and has to be cut off about an inch so they wont interfere with each other.

The surging is gone, even with only rudimentary adjustments done so far.

You only go through this shit for someone or something you love- that's the god's honest truth...

From what I have learned this week is to make sure the carb has the Weber name and trademark cast into it and it should also say "made in Spain" somewhere on it also. If it doesn't have that- send it back before you even attempt to put it on. It is more than likely junk.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Or if its used it is marked made in Italy - then you got the Holy Grail. Bet you didn't know that the Edelbrock carbs are also Webers, and that the new Carter carbs are Webers too.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Or if its used it is marked made in Italy - then you got the Holy Grail. Bet you didn't know that the Edelbrock carbs are also Webers, and that the new Carter carbs are Webers too.
    Brother I wish I knew now what I didn't know back in 2007 when I made the initial Weber conversion.

The DGEC model that Weber Direct sold me is a piece of junk. (To be honest I don't even know if they even sell it any more. I suspect it was promoted at the time by Weber Direct due to them or some other global corp or entity that needed to rid themselves of over stocking.) It cannot be tuned properly and with a size of 300CFM the case can be made that it is too small for a 2.6 litre engine.

That combined with my disability from 2 strokes (I have a one-track mind now unfortunately) has culminated in a nearly a two week delay in completing what should have been done back in 2007. I am waiting for the primary jets that I re-ordered last Wed 6/24. Plus I will end up with an extra DGEV because I erroneously bought another one from Ebay thinking I needed it. The good news is that I got a brand new one at a great price (less than what I paid for the one I got from Pierce Manifolds) and I can easily recover that money back if I choose to resell it. But...big but...I like the idea of having an extra one for parts. But...bigger but...they are known for not having parts that wear. But being on disability, I prolly don't drive enough for that to really be a concern.

Most of the delay was caused because Pierce sent me the wrong idle jets when I when I talked to them on Mon. 7/22. They sent secondary idle jets when I needed primary idle jets. I had ordered those jets 2nd day air because I needed them fairly quickly to get the truck running. 2nd day air for parts that fit in the palm of your hand and a standard business envelope was around 30 bucks from Cali. I never asked at the time of the order how they were sending the correct jets- turns out they sent them standard ground shipping from Cali to NC. That takes a week. So the damn things will not be in my hand until 8/1. *sigh*

All of this has been a "learn as you go" experience for me. Once I learned that the DGEC was junk, that's what started this whole ball rolling. So it will be two more days at the earliest before I can give a road test report.

The removal of the top of the carb was very telling. The secondary barrel is quite "carboned up"- the secondary was obviously too rich. But when the primary idle jets do 80% of the lifting @ 2500 RPM and lower as opposed to the mains and the idle jets and jet holders are made into one part and the jet size is not changeable...there are not even different sizes to do the "trial and error" thing...you get the picture...no wonder the truck had so many drivability issues that cannot be corrected w/o putting a 'proper Weber' on the motor.

You guys have been great. I look forward to writing a post about my road test and first drive with a real Weber on the motor.

'Ol Reliable has a tremendous will to live and survive. It is almost mythical...

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I am going to start calling the DGEC the "Mikuni/Weber". Haha. The DGEC is just as big a piece of junkyard scrap as the original Mikuni was. I have a sneaky suspicion that Mikuni even makes them...

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Does Weber carb make the Weber BBQ grill too?

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Does Weber carb make the Weber BBQ grill too?
    I laugh because I can't cry anymore.

Well after this ordeal, not only will I have a proper Weber on the motor, I will also have a Skewdriver in my tool box!!! Nanny nanny boo boo!

Anybody that doesn't have one should get one. 44.44 including shipping from Amazon. I have never seen a cooler, more functional tool in my entire life.

I got the Skewdriver Pro with all the bits. This thing is the shit...

http://www.amazon.com/Skew-Products-...Skewdriver+Pro

You really do need one to do adjustments on a DGEV after it is installed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast