Hey guys,
I've had my '89 D50 4x4 with a '92 2.4L efi in it for awhile now, running beautifully after a rebuild about a year ago. I recently changed the stock alternator out to a 75 amp bolt in unit from a 1990 mitsu van and have had no issues, however the other day my charge light came on very dim at idle, increased the rpm a little and it went away, it's been doing this on and off until today finally the radio and the instruments died as well as the fuel pump without showing the charge light, and obviously causing it to shut down. I checked all connections on the charge circuit that would trigger a charge light and all engine connections and found nothing out of place. Eventually it started up again with a half-lit charge light, still varying brightness with engine RPM (higher RPM gets dimmer, brighter at idle) and my aftermarket tach was jumping all over the place. On the drawings all that I can find that would effect the charge system would be the fuses (they're fine), ignition switch, voltage regulator/alternator, or possibly the coil... Anyone have any ideas where I should start or anything I may have missed?