Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T

OD clicks but no engagement

my previous and seems to be forever.

i wired the OD with a separate relay since the connections seems to be molested by previous owner. OD clicks but doesnt seem to engage (no upshift)....but when i take my foot off the accelerator pedal there seems to be a downshift.

what did i miss? thanks

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You missed the Kickdown linkage bushings. If it's not adjusted right then the trans will have a delayed or early shift. The delayed shift will prevent o/d engagement. Early will cause poor MPG and shifting problems. There should be a second cable to the throttle body. Follow it down to a bracket between engine/trans hookup. There should be 2 12mm nuts for an adjustment here. It is possible your bushings are toast too. My truck used to shudder into 3rd since it was engaging too early causing a pressure issue from shifting at such low speed/rpm. The bushings are available from mitsubishi or chrysler for about 2-5 bucks each.

What engine is it on? i know the 2.0 is different and the diesel trucks i don't think came auto. The 4d5x stuff seems to be very similar to the 2.0L

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    it's a 4d56 turbodiesel. are you referring to the throttle cable (the one that's connected to the injection pump)? haven't tinkered with it yet for the last 6 months i think. there's no shuddering issue as of the moment. just a little bit delayed shifting i think. i'll verify the idle speed before i'll find the sweet spot with regards to the shifting.

sorry but where are those bushings exactly located at? the problem here is that we got no brand new spares for these transmissions. surplus shops sell auto trannies at just less than $180. manuals sells at more than twice the price of automatics.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That's why. The 4d55 didn't come with an auto. The 4d56 is from the JDM Montero and L200. The auto of any kind should have a linkage or cable that hooks the throttle to the trans to let it know when you've demanded more throttle so it downshifts. The O/D on that one is most likely controlled electronically by a solenoid. Is it in a D50? Was everything swapped correctly?

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    D50. 2wd. unfortunately, the electronics wasn't swapped correctly as per my judgement. connections to the computer was simply cutoff, etc. obviously, the one who changed it to diesel just want it to run.LOL......i'm on research mode with regards to manual trans conversion just in case.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The 5-speed from the diesel trucks is specific to the diesel. Gota find a diesel 5-speed. Theyre rare to find 2wd. I believe the 4wd transfer case can be replaced with a 2wd tailshaft and it'll work. The computer changes is what's causing you o/d to act up.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    thanks recian