Status
    Dallas, OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

1st gen a/c questions

Hi all,

I'm trying to gather intel on how the air conditioning was set up on the first gen trucks. I'm looking to piece together a system for my truck, as I'm living in east Texas currently, and a/c is virtually a must. At the same time, my truck is in good enough condition that I'd like to keep it as close to 'stock' as possible, which means that I'd like my a/c to look like it was put there by the factory, or at the very least, by a dealer. What components belong in the system? Where should I look for the compressor, condenser, expansion valve, heater core, etc? Where were all of these components mounted? I know that my truck having the 4d55 will make a small difference. Finally, how well will these components deal with the transition from r12 to r134?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I did the swap on my 2nd gen. It's relatively easy and should be similar. What I did was Gather the lines, condensor, compressor + bracket and the whole evaporator box and control unit. The wiring harness for it should be separate from the body or engine harness since it was a dealer install only. You may need lines and compressor specifically from a 4d55 but I'm not sure. I know the 2.6L a/c is different since the compressor is mounted on a different side of the engine. The 4d55 looks like the compressor mounts up to the same spot as on a 2.0L. It's been ahwile since I looked under the hood of mine.
    The retrofit was easy if you're adding it to your truck. Get a kit from NAPA with all the green o-rings and change them all while the lines and parts are out of the vehicle. Buy a new dryer and you're good. On 2nd gen trucks you need the TXV for R-134 but these trucks didnt come with it so retrofitting won't require it unless a 2nd gen R134 txv fits then I'd get one. Also make sure you have a fan shroud or you'll run into issues when the truck idles. I drained all the oil from the compressor and ended up running about 10% over what the R12 refrigerant spec was along with 3-4 oz oil. I'm not sure of the exact specs of first gen trucks.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I found a truck at pick-n-pull that had a/c it's a bolt on kit, had it off in an hour and on my truck in about 2-3 hours, mounting brackets are and wiring are already there.

Array
    Status
    Cataula , GA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    what years fit the gen 1? the gen 2 stuff fits as well?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    79 - 86 is first gen, 86.5 to 94 is 2nd gen. The compressor bracket is the hardest part to find for the 4d55 - all other parts interchange with the gas motors. You may need to add a pulley on the crank - on the 2.6 you have to add a pulley for A/C.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    I was so lucky, I found a complete NOS a couple of years back for my 1st. gen. on ebay. Unbelievable find. It works perfectly.
    It is fantastic having cold A/C.

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Here is the link: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-and-Questions

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I saw your truck on the Mitsubishi truck page in Frank Eck's post - it is looking sweet!
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    I saw your truck on the Mitsubishi truck page in Frank Eck's post - it is looking sweet!
    Brother you got to provide a link.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Try this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1660687334206552/ scroll down to see the post.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Eatonton GA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55
    Troubleshooting my a/c, noticed the "water temperature switch", a normally open thermal switch that lives in my little diesel's radiator manifold above the compressor, was stuck closed. The switch is connected to the a/c compressor's relay to keep the a/c off until the little engine warms up a little. Because the thermal switch failed closed the a/c worked, after I located and replaced the blown 5 amp a/c fuse Mitsubishi hid by itself between the back of the radio & the center air ducts. Nevertheless, I want to put a working "water temperature switch" in the radiator hose manifold again because I suspect the old one's failure caused the failure of the hard-to-get-to fuse.
    Here's the problem: no auto parts place has a record of such a switch on this truck. They all have the coolant sensor--the one that drives the dashboard temperature gauge. Nobody has the similar-looking a/c compressor water temperature switch.
    The part I'm trying to replace is shaped like a spark plug or glow plug, it's stamped "ND 1136 C 06" around its brass hex head, it has a single paddle-connector on top and the threads measure 10 mm and have fine threads--28tpi by my count.
    Nippondenso's no help, Google either. Anybody found a work-around?
    Thanks

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    contact Mike Warme on here - he is a diesel and Mitsu parts expert
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Eatonton GA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55
    Here's air conditioning specs for '84 Mitsu trucks (and D50s, presumably), stock, from the factory shop manual:
    Compressor: 2F401MH
    Lubrication: SUNISO5GS* 200cc
    Idle up (during a/c operation): 850-900 rpm
    Refrigerant: R12* 700g (1.54 lbs.)
    AC_specs.jpg