Thread: "Mitsy" '86 Repairs, Renew, Rebuild, Replace

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Truck has been sitting in garage since noise started and during summer. Went to start it at start of summer and the choke wire popped off and grounded for a while and smoked some wiring. I replaced all the fried wires and everything is fine, but the fuel pump would not spin up, so I have to find the power wire going or coming from the relay. Not a big deal, but the noise will be rechecked after I get truck running again. Before winter also because that is what I drive in the snow here.

Will take a pic of the dash when I go out to garage to fix fuel pump lead. These LED's are awesome also in my MR2. Definitely make the Green blinker and Blue bright light lights much better. The Dash light color is exceptionally nice and it makes the dash view much cleaner looking. I am totally satisfied with them. The assorted lights above can be used in the HVAC controls. Those are a little less bright, but I have seen people wiring in more and multicolors that look beautiful.

Drive shaft has all the same U-Joints and the center support bearing can be very expensive btw. I didn't have any issues replacing mine. Not sure about part numbers. Maybe check the toyota's parts site and Rock Auto. RA site usually has many manufacture parts to check them numbers your looking for.

Array
    Status
    spokane,wa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    sounds a squeaky universal joint to me

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I swapped all the warning and display lights in my L200 with white T10 LED's. Cheap to do and it made a big difference. I used blue LED's for back lights and although I could've used white which would've made the markers and gauges stand out more, the blue is less 'fatiguing' on the eyes. Thanks for the heads up on the uni-joints Brad. They'd cost me $35 AU a piece over the counter so ebay is going to be my buddy once again.
    I should've bought a full rebuild kit for my tailshaft assembly - seen them as low as $55 US on ebay...

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Pulled drive shaft and checked and refilled u-joints with grease. No change. Center support was new. It's been a while since truck has been started and running, so I need to stop procrastinating and get on this thing. This is what happens when having too many vehicles. Get lazy

Going out tonight to see if I can locate the no spark issue. Need this truck for winter snow driving asap.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I swapped all the warning and display lights in my L200 with white T10 LED's. Cheap to do and it made a big difference. I used blue LED's for back lights and although I could've used white which would've made the markers and gauges stand out more, the blue is less 'fatiguing' on the eyes. Thanks for the heads up on the uni-joints Brad. They'd cost me $35 AU a piece over the counter so ebay is going to be my buddy once again.
    I should've bought a full rebuild kit for my tailshaft assembly - seen them as low as $55 US on ebay...

Those white LEDs have really nice color and clarity and really like them. My blinkers and bright lights dash lights are so much bright also. I like the change completely and no more hot bulb issues.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Got the truck started tonight and ran it up to full temp and everything seems ok. The Heater/Vent must of blew a fuse (will check tomorrow). The oil pressure line isn't allowing the gauge to work properly. (will check for any crush lines). The radio needs to be looked at and it seems the heater vent controls are interfering with the radios wires. So that will be looked at. Other then that, everything seemed ok. Will take it our of garage and push MR2 in its place for the winter.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    30+ Years of Ownership 1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    MT_magcover.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg

I posted some pictures I had of the truck to see.

Complete Truck Updates (click to expand images)

original.jpgOverhead Mitsubishi.jpgtruck3.jpg
    engine1.jpgengine2.jpgengine3.jpg
    1986_MitsubishiMM.jpg3 photos.jpg
    inside1.jpginside2.jpg

Blue Print Download
    79 to 86_Mitsubishi_Pickup_Truck_blueprints.jpg
    Last edited by BradMph; 03-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Geezer approves

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    32 years old and I didn't look this good when I was 32.
    I estimate the miles on the truck to date are about 500,000 at least and still original red paint.
    Truck1_21_18.jpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    love to get a grill guard like that for the 86 4wd I just got - what brand is that?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Not sure what brand the grill guard is Pennyman, It has been on the truck since I bought it from original owner in '87. That accessory and the Tonneau cover were actually what caught my eye and convinced me to purchase the truck. Also that it was red, but the guard was plus. I have removed the top round bar to show off the BMW grill piece, but I am saving it in case I get tired of the BMW look.
    I have replaced the tonneau cover also since then and believe it or not, I made this last one myself and saved me a bundle. I purchase the sheet material and the edging and snaps all at a fabric store. Cut it and sewed edging on a sewing machine. (thanks to the hours I watched mom using a sewing machine). After creating this one, the next time I will be much better at the fitting. I know now to cut it loosely and then put snaps on as you fit it the the trucks snaps. Then remove it and cut the edge and sew the edging on to finish it.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    how about the wheel arch trims? don't see many like that

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Finally located the strange noise I had under the truck. Friggin U-Joints need to be replaced again. I have grease fittings on the ones in the truck now and usually keep up on them. When I filled them the other day, they were empty. After packing them, the noise stopped except for occasional ping when the U-joint pops and pings the differential gear. Going to buy 3 new ones with grease fittings again and install them ASAP.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds like a Chevy or a Christmas tree branch is dragging..? Hope you figure it out... Happy Holidays

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I am not sure if I updated the post about the noisey sound as I started from a stop and so on. But anyway I found the problem. I decided to change all the U-Joints and after crawling under the truck and moving the drive shaft back and forth and rotating it, I noticed a bad u-joint. Then noticed the 4 bolts connecting the driveshaft to the third member were lose. Finally I find the problem and before it snapped off.
    Replaced the U-joints and torqued the 4 bolts correctly and the noise is gone.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yeesh, that could've ended badly. Happy quiet(er) motoring Brad
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I thought I would post some pics of the truck as it sits now, painted, new bed cover, and other work. Putting a stereo system in new now as well.
    Finally also got the hood and cowling to be same color pretty much with a carbon fiber wrap on the center area. Still runs incredible and having fun when not upgrading items.

Mits MM.jpg
    IMG_20210323_180218390_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210319_200328092.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    IMG_20210323_180422644.jpg

Can't believe I started this thread in 2013, 8 years ago. Been a great time here at the forum for sure.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910