Array
    Status
    meridian, id
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

rear axle shaft swap

Just finished swapping out the right rear axle shaft in my 89 project truck. Had a nasty metal on metal noise when making left turns. The brake dust cover was all smashed up. Assumed that was the problem. But found out that the rear bearings are pressed on when I went to pull just the dust cover at the local jy. Ended up getting an entire replacement axle shaft instead of paying the shop fees.

One of my biggest struggles was getting the emergency brake line off the hub. There are several spring loaded clips that all have to be compressed at the same time. I found that using the closed end of my 12mm wrench would compress them all and allow the line to be pulled out quite easily. Maybe that'll help someone else like me that has done a fair amount of wrench turning, but is not an expert like many others on the forum.

I repacked the rear bearing the best I could and put everything back together using my original shim. I'd forgotten what a hassle drum brakes are. Seems like I made the right assumption. No more noise on left turns now. Now if only I could afford the carb upgrade.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    A small hose clamp will also compress them spring fingers to get the parking brake cables off!