Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Rebuild Kits

Anyone have a good source for a rebuild kit for a 4d55 Diesel Motor? I see one's on ebay, but they're all out of China. I'd like to avoid that if I could... lol

Any help would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I was probably going to use something like that. I may end up buying stuff from mitsubishi. I may not start my build til the end of the year so I won't have any definites on availability til then. Now I know alot of 4d56 stuff is the same. It's possible we could get parts through there. Personally I don't intend to replace pistons or sleeves unless I have to. Just the bearings, seals and such internally. I can get bearings from Clevite. I've got them in my 94 and theyre used in NASCAR so I can assume they'll hold up just fine.

Array
    Status
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    What's Clevite? At minimum, I'll need a gasket set. Once they tear the engine down, I'll know how much the repairs will be. Labor looks like it will be about $1000 to $1500, plus parts. Not too bad to get a brand spanking new 4d55 when they're done.

Also found a place that will do a complete rebuild on the turbo for $275, parts included...

BTW, I'm told there's a turbo "upgrade" that gives a lot more power, and is a direct bolt on. Any ideas what it is, and where to get it?

Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    They will hold up only if your doing 200mph, did you look at the small print, lol jk

Quote Originally Posted by recian View Post
    I was probably going to use something like that. I may end up buying stuff from mitsubishi. I may not start my build til the end of the year so I won't have any definites on availability til then. Now I know alot of 4d56 stuff is the same. It's possible we could get parts through there. Personally I don't intend to replace pistons or sleeves unless I have to. Just the bearings, seals and such internally. I can get bearings from Clevite. I've got them in my 94 and theyre used in NASCAR so I can assume they'll hold up just fine.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I intend to go with a garett or turbonetics T70 turbo if i have to change the manifolds. My truck needs a whole new exhaust anyway so downpipe is easy fix. I feel bad for u man. If u were closer id say bring it by my place and id rebuild it for ya and show you how for no charge. Wed even port and polish the head and manifolds. I love rebuilding engines. Only thing ill have to pay for aside from parts is machine work. Ill have to have my head checked since ive got aa no compression situation with mine. if the cylinders are scored ill have to have it bored too.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    You will not have any luck on Pistons or rings from Mitsu here in north America. After I cleaned them out they are listed as obsolete LOL. ITM pistons kits are obsolete too now. And the Chinese kits..........good luck! Had enough after 3 sets failed on me. I get my factory pistons from Thailand now. There are .040 over and I prefer to buy Hastings rings which are made in the usa 2c5666 .040 is the part number. If you guys end up needing any email me I have plenty. And clevite is the way to go for bearings.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    mikewarme@yahoo.com I'm lucky to have time to come to the forum often but emails are check several times a day

Array
    Status
    Eatonton GA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55
    Who rebuilds stock turbos?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by roebling View Post
    Who rebuilds stock turbos?
    Threadromancy!!

Any turbo shop should be able to, the TC05 turbo and TD04 both have kits readily avaliable. I personally have rebuilt them myself (on gas cars) but i wouldnt do it on the diesel, just the thought of the oil seal failing and taking the engine with it scares me lol

Kinugawa sells replacement turbos for the 4d56 which will bolt up on the 4d55 as well (match the turbo or swap hotside as well, just verify it is the same downpipe between the 2)