Array
    Status
    milford pa
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

rear brake question

89 ram 50. there is what looks like a proportion valve attached to the rear round crossmember which the fuel tank attaches to. i wanted to know if this is stock? it doesnt appear to be. the other question is that i have 2 brake lines coming into it and one line coming out which goes to a rubber hose that clips to the rear. after that it goes to hard line and goes into the left rear drum. from there a line comes out of the rear left drum and crosses over to the right rear drum where there is the bleeder valve? is this all stock? i have never seen such a thing? also im rebuilding this truck so if there is a better way to do anything with the brake system please share. i will have pics of my build up tomarow. i also have pics of this part which i can upload later if needed.. this part has a lever on it with a spring... its like a little piston in there... i put a new rear round crossmember in the truck so i gotta reattach this part so what does the lever and the spring actually do if this part is stock? i need to know if its important to attach the spring and lever correctly?

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    That's the load sensing Valve, It increases brake pressure the more weight you have in the bed.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yes it is stock and all the lines you described are stock. If you are leaving the truck mostly stock then leave it be.

Array
    Status
    milford pa
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    well im not kerping the truck stock and im also slamming it. there will never be weight in the bed so can i just run my rear line directly into the left rear wheel cylinder without causing to much pressure in the rear and having the rears lock up while brakeing?

Array
    Status
    milford pa
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Array
    Status
    milford pa
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    boxed out shackle mounts... ready to drill new hole and sleave when i figure out how low i can go.... im going to use lowering blocks i think and maybe remove the middle spring... if i still wanna go lower im just going to do what i stated above. new center crossmember and new rear crossmembers i wanted it stiff.. frame had 2 holes so i patched it fully boxed 1/4 plate. new rear brake shoes and all new parts. new u-joints. new fuel lines and brake lines new spring bushings. i still have some fab work to do with the tank mounts and stuff like that. next im taking the cab off so i can clean up the frame and run the fuel/brake lines easier. then on to the motor im still researching what is the easiest motor to drop in this creme puff i want a 4cyl. . turbo. it is 4x4. i just want it to move. and i will be spraying the truck something along the lines of gunmetal gray. what you guys think of the rear so far?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbort View Post
    well im not kerping the truck stock and im also slamming it. there will never be weight in the bed so can i just run my rear line directly into the left rear wheel cylinder without causing to much pressure in the rear and having the rears lock up while brakeing?

There are different views about this valve. Some say run with out it. Some say leave it in there and just lock it in place so it's not used. Some say to add in a manual balance valve. But we never seem to get anyone to finish there thread or post there findings on how it turned out. If you do run with out it please let us know how it reacts. It would make for a good story in the tech section so the next 200 people that do what you are doing have an idea on what to expect.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    You started with a 4x frame to slam? A 2x frame rear gives you a 3" drop stock. But I see your welding is already done.

Array
    Status
    milford pa
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Well I got this truck for 250 when I took the bed off the frame was in bad shape I tried to find a new frame but I live in the middle of nowhere and the junk yards didn't have any so I gotta work with what I got

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    A 4X4 slam sounds cool, but I would want some power to it because it will handle like crazy!
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    To bad these trucks did not come with a differential in the transfer case. Then it could be full time 4X4.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com