Array
    Status
    Scottsbluff, NE
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Need Guidance

Hello. I'm new to this forum and D-50 ownership (kinda) lol. When I was in high school I drove a 1990 Dodge D-50 2wd reg cab 5spd and if I remember right it had a 2.4L EFI. Might be wrong on that I'm not to familiar with these motors yet. Of course I was young and stupid and didn't appreciate the truck as much as I should have and ended up selling it for next to nothing. Now years later I recently purchased a 1988 Dodge Power Ram 50 Sport Ext cab 4wd 5spd(km145?) 2.6L(G54B?). I bought it pretty cheap and the truck is in fairly good condition. As far as I can tell I have the head that has the jet valves and from what I read they are not very good and tend to crack. The truck also needs a new intake manifold. My plans for this truck is to beef up the motor some (nothing to over the top). I was looking into getting a weber carb and a intake manifold to would be better to use with a weber carb. If nothing is available I would use the stock intake manifold. I already need a new intake so thought id upgrade with the carb. I was also looking into getting a upgraded head that would perform better and more reliable. When I changed the head I would have the bottom end done. So anyways here's what I'm getting at... What weber carb do you guys suggest for a basically stock motor that eventually have a upgraded intake/head granted I can find them? What kind/where can a stock or better intake manifold be found? What heads are interchangeable with the 1988 2.6L? Sorry for my ignorance. Ill try to catch on quick.ig

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to the board! Now as far as intakes I have found nothing for aftermarket or performance unless you make it, so you will be stuck with stock. Go with a Weber 32/36 upgrade fuel pump to electric Carter P4070. Head either stock 2.6 non- jet valve or a 2.0 non-jet valve and chain drive head will fit as well from a G52B. That is the set up I have on my truck 2.0l chain head, weber 32/36, carter 4070, and header.

Array
    Status
    Scottsbluff, NE
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey thanks for the input Mopar_ja. I found a used intake manifold in a salvage yard this morning for 65$+ shipping a few hundred miles from my town. They sent me some pics of it and looked decent so I bought it. As far as the carb I will be going with the 32/36 with electric choke. From what I've read the next biggest (38?) would be over kill for my motor. On the head I haven't started looking yet cause I'm still unsure which one to get. By chain head I'm assuming you mean chain drive cam? I'm not sure if there was a belt drive head option. Not doubting you it's just my lack of excessive knowledge and part interchange on these motors.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes, chain drive cam and they do make a 2.0l with timing chain and a belt you want chain. check out the sticky under general maintenance Camoit left about putting a 2.0l head on a 2.6 if you want to go that route. Since you are replacing the head it is a perfect opportunity to get one with out the jet valves.