Array
    Status
    Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63

Broken carb to manifold bolt

I have never worked on Aluminum manifolds with heat. I have about an 1/8th of an inch of a broken carb bolt sticking out, but after looking at how corroded the other three bolts were, man its going to be a battle. Is it okay to heat the manifold to remove broken bolt? I would prefer to start by slotting for a screwdriver, grabbing it with a pair of nice vice grips and heating the surrounding aluminum before trying to remove it to give me the best shot out of the gate. (Oh and its not in the car or full of gas, been totally cleaned and all parts removed). I am afraid I will warp the manifold. I would prefer not to add other broken metal to the battle by using my easy out or my revers bit drills, man they are a bugger to work with when they break off and the galvanic response between the bolts and this manifold rotted two of the bolts to about 2/3 the original diameter in places.
    Going to have a similar problem with number 3 and 4 spark plugs on the head. Worried about heating the head as well, I will have it off and figured good time to remove spark plugs. I was thinking of taking to a friends steam cleaner and cleaning the bare head and trying to remove the sparkplugs after working on the assumption I might have some expansion of the aluminum from the heat.
    would love any better ideas to get the plugs out. Been very careful not to break them off the last few times Ive tried.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Heating the manifold with a propane torch will not warp it.Heat around the bolt then use some Sea-foam Deep Creep, Spray the bolt with it while still hot and you will hear a slight cracking sound (the rust breaking away from the Bolt and manifold). let it sit for a while then try using the vice grips wiggling the bolt back and forth.You might have to do this a few times. I've Remove bolt that were 40+ years old this way. As For the plugs you have 2 options 1- Heat and Remove then use a plug thread chase tap to clean up the old abused threads. 2- if you mangle the threads removing the plug get a heli-coil spark plug repair insert kit.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/deep-creep/

Array
    Status
    Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Thanks for the help, I have the thread chaser, and heli coil kit. Will look for the "sea foam deep creep" never heard of that one (marine use?). Out to the outbuilding to continue my quest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordubishi View Post
    Heating the manifold with a propane torch will not warp it.Heat around the bolt then use some Sea-foam Deep Creep, Spray the bolt with it while still hot and you will hear a slight cracking sound (the rust breaking away from the Bolt and manifold). let it sit for a while then try using the vice grips wiggling the bolt back and forth.You might have to do this a few times. I've Remove bolt that were 40+ years old this way. As For the plugs you have 2 options 1- Heat and Remove then use a plug thread chase tap to clean up the old abused threads. 2- if you mangle the threads removing the plug get a heli-coil spark plug repair insert kit.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/deep-creep/

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Try some anti-seize spray and let it soak in. This stuff is incredible on seized bolts

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If you drill a hole in the bolt before you heat it up you will have the option of using the easy out if the vise grips slip. Drill the hole with a left handed drill bit and the thing might screw its self out once the heat of drilling it frees it up. Drilling a hole after heating it up might be more difficult if the thing hardens up on you.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Go with what Andy says. I'd soak it with Kano Kroil (the orange can) for a couple days, spray it every day. Then drill a hole in the bolt, it doesn't have to be perfect but about 1/4-1/2" deep and use an easy out. Or you can drill it with a left hand drill bit also. I've seen them pull the bolt out as you're drilling the hole since it heats up the bolt from the inside and makes it easier to come out.

Array
    Status
    Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Good ideas, I am going to try it out today.
    Thanks

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Just remember if you think it's above your skill level you can always pull the manifold and have a machine shop pull it out. The hard part is drilling down the center with out going to the side.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    hope a new manifold doesn't end up on his next rebuild