I have never worked on Aluminum manifolds with heat. I have about an 1/8th of an inch of a broken carb bolt sticking out, but after looking at how corroded the other three bolts were, man its going to be a battle. Is it okay to heat the manifold to remove broken bolt? I would prefer to start by slotting for a screwdriver, grabbing it with a pair of nice vice grips and heating the surrounding aluminum before trying to remove it to give me the best shot out of the gate. (Oh and its not in the car or full of gas, been totally cleaned and all parts removed). I am afraid I will warp the manifold. I would prefer not to add other broken metal to the battle by using my easy out or my revers bit drills, man they are a bugger to work with when they break off and the galvanic response between the bolts and this manifold rotted two of the bolts to about 2/3 the original diameter in places.
Going to have a similar problem with number 3 and 4 spark plugs on the head. Worried about heating the head as well, I will have it off and figured good time to remove spark plugs. I was thinking of taking to a friends steam cleaner and cleaning the bare head and trying to remove the sparkplugs after working on the assumption I might have some expansion of the aluminum from the heat.
would love any better ideas to get the plugs out. Been very careful not to break them off the last few times Ive tried.