Status
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Hi Everyone -- '84 turbodiesel

Hi everyone

I was a member on the old mightyd50 forum before it got hacked... now I'm back.

I have a 1984 turbodiesel D50 4x4 truck -- was a good work truck for many years, and then the engine had some issues (broke a few of the rocker arms -- eugh). Now the engine is working again (plus I have a complete second parts engine), and I'm wanting to get it back on the road (economy is not doing as well as a few years ago, so I'm selling the new truck and going back to the D50 for a work truck -- I liked it better anyway I'll post some pics of it as I get it put back together.

I used to average around 22 to 24mpg -- topper with ladder rack and ladders, 4x4, mixed mountain and highway and city driving. I could get up to 26ish in that configuration on highway trips. Which wasn't as much as I'd hoped for from the turbodiesel, but certainly was way better than the 4.0 liter V6 ranger I've been driving more recently -- that averaged 18, and 21 on a highway trip (without the ladders) was best. I ran it on biodiesel mostly, or B20 in the winter, and it runs a little smoother on that than diesel.

Looking forwards to being back here.

Oh... and my username... not sure how the heck that ended up as it or what the heck it means -- computer user error in typing it in I think, but that's what it ended up as.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Welcome back to the new old board.
    We have a secure future with this site. We will have more information as we grow. In fact in just a little over 2+ years with the new site we now have 2,160 Threads 20,136 Posts 910 Members 675 Active Members So we are off to a good start. Oh and we have nearly 250 .PDF manuals to down load and an on-line radio station.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Two pics of it from back in 2005, down on Black Mesa, Arizona on the reservation

D50reservation2.jpgD50reservation.jpg

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    It's a good thing they painted the cab top white or that camper shell wouldn't look right, lol. Welcome back!

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome. I've got a 84 TD project. I'm glad to finally see some MPG numbers to aim for. My current goal is 40 on standard diesel. I'm thinking 2wd with no options, no p/s or a/c, lighten it as much as possible with a better turbo, 3" exhaust and an intercooler that shouldnt be a problem.

Array
    Status
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by recian View Post
    Welcome. I've got a 84 TD project. I'm glad to finally see some MPG numbers to aim for. My current goal is 40 on standard diesel. I'm thinking 2wd with no options, no p/s or a/c, lighten it as much as possible with a better turbo, 3" exhaust and an intercooler that shouldnt be a problem.
    That should possible with a light foot. I had a 1981 Toyota longbed 2wd diesel, with a 2.2 liter non-turbo engine, and it got around 30mpg, and that was with the engine completely worn out. It could have been 35 stock with a new engine I think.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm sure I can do it too. Especially since the diesels are non emissions and run a straight exhaust, no restrictions.