Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

1995 montero sr diff lock

So i found a 95 sr at the crash yard that is diff lock equipped, does anyone know what I need to pull from it to get it to work when i go to install on my truck?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the whole rear - it is a 9" rear and unless your's is a 9" it won't fit in the axle of the truck
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is it a non-ABS with discs?

You don't need THAT..send it to ME!

And Penny is right, will need to do an axle swap, not just a 3rd member/Diff swap.

Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Sorry i should have been more specific haha. I know that i need the whole rear end which is okay because i wanted the disc brakes off of it anyway. My question was what components do I need to make the whole setup work? For the disc brakes I need the proportioning valve and possibly the master cylinder? But for the diff lock do i need any of the wiring or can it be rigged to work?

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I'd dig around in that truck for whatever actuates the locker. Probably just a small pump, but might have a small tank, too. Strip and use what you can, IMHO.

You WILL need a larger res for the brakes...not sure about the Master? I know the discs use more volume.

Probably gonna have to have a brake shop make you some new hard lines. Only other issue I could see would be gear ratio being radically different for the front and rear?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the rear axle in the montero is 4.63 - if you can find them mitsu made 4.22 and 3.91 for them. I have also seen posts saying it is a copy od a ford 9" only stronger and the gearsets fit, but I have no proof of that. That is an air locker, so you need an air supply and a solenoid to switch it in and out.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    So I went back over there took some measurements and found the air pump, expected something much bigger. It is about the size of a small fish pump but i grabbed the bracket it was housed on so it should be pretty easy to mount. For anyone who might be wondering it was mounted in the jack compartment under the middle row of seats. I will see if i can get some pictures when I go over there later today. If it is the same as a ford 9 that would be sweet.

Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Alright gonna update this today and ask a few more questions. So after three trips to ecology I have come up with a few problems and when I go back tomorrow or Wednesday it would be nice to grab everything and be done. The first problem is in relation to the brakes I spent the better bart of an hour and a half tracing brake lines and drawing diagrams on this montero with abs and another 95 without abs trying to figure out how the system works. here is what i came up with and please correct me if it is wrong: I will need the master cylinder off of the montero because it has no residual valve where our trucks do and the valve would trash the read disc brakes very quickly. As far as a proportioning valve goes I was looking for something close to the master cylinder like the fords but it wasn't there, instead there was that load sensing valve by the rear axle so that is needed. Last thing does anyone know if the rear end is the same length as the mighty max and is the mounting the same? I know that it has coil-overs in the rear but will it be possible to use the same u bolts or will I need to make new brackets for mounting it up? It wont be possible for me to measure that until the rear end is off. thanks for all the help guys.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you will need the mounts off the old axle to mount the new axle - ldk if the axle width is the same, but it should be close. Don't forget, if you change the rear to 4.63 and your truck is 4wd, you need the front diff gears also to match front to rear. hope you also got the e brake cables to hook the ebrakes up.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Alrighty guys so here is what i got. using crude instruments I have determined that the montero axle is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch bigger so new U bolts are going to be necessary, that shouldn't be a problem i can make that work the mounting on the MM is pretty simple. However the mounting on the montero is very complicated, anti roll bar, rear coil overs, and different shock mounts now the problem is that it is all welded to the axle so to mount it to the mighty max will take some persuasion with the plasma cutter and grinder. Then there is the gear ratio problem so it is turning into a bigger than anticipated project.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Can you put up a picture of the rear end with some shots of the parts you are talking about? If you need spring perches you can get them from rough stuff.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Yeah no problem, i will post some tomorrow or monday when i can get them off of my camera.

Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/w...iniRam/cd2.jpg

here is a reference picture of a mighty max rear end assembly only without shocks

Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    IMAG0995.jpgIMAG0996.jpgIMAG0997.jpgIMAG0998.jpgIMAG0999.jpgIMAG1000.jpgIMAG1001.jpgIMAG1002.jpg
    alrighty so here you can see my very poor quality photographs and can see what has to be cut off, the mounting for the trailing arms shock mounts and spring mounts as well as the anti roll bar on the drivers side. then new mounts have to be made for attaching it to the leafs and shocks on the mighty max since the axles are different sizes. hopefully the universal is the same size and i also have to workout the brake issues.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You can't just steel the drop out and swap the gears instead of all the cutting. Because that a bunch of grinding.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Vista CA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    it is a different rear right? so wouldn't that be not compatible? I guess i didnt follow you there.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    yes the 95 monte rear is a 9" and the truck is an 8" - no center chunk swap here
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle

1982 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    The '95 Montero is actually a 9.5" axle the 9" is found in Mitsubishi trucks with a 3.0 V6, any with the 3.5 V6 got the bigger axle. I have swapped the SR axle and it's Montero Sport/Triton counterpart into every configuration of Mitsubishi 4x4 so far. I wish i had found your post sooner as I may have been some help.

Personally i like to just the Sport/Triton variation of this axle for swaps under the leaf sprung Mitsus, The Sport axle '97-99 is a near direct swap depend on the year and drivetrain of the recipient. For example a v6 Mighty Max in most cases will just take the Sport axle like it was made for it. There are some exceptions like yoke to pinion flange bolt spacing is sometimes different but the center bore is the same so it's easy to DIY new holes without worries of the shaft being off center.
    Putting the V6 axles into the 4cyl powered 4x4's is a bit tougher because the centering bores are very different and the yoke bolt pattern is really close to the flange radius. What i do is machine a spacer to fit (interference fit actually) the ID of the flange and the OD of the yoke then once it's pressed together i face it on a lathe.

I did the whole chop off all the SR coil sprung brackets and swapped that axle in a spring over leaf setup. It wasn't bad, took me a few hours to prep the axle and a couple more to set it up under my pickup. Totally worth it, where else can you get an air locker for a couple hundred dollars? not to mention the beefy axle it's attached to.

As far as Ford 9" compatibility goes it's a cut and retube operation, the splines on the Mitsu 9" match the splines on the Ford Small bearing 9" and the shafts on the Mitsu 9.5" match the big bearing Ford 9". The Ford splines are a rougher cut so sometimes you need to polish them up with a scotch write pad or fine sandpaper.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by TOASTY View Post
    The '95 Montero is actually a 9.5" axle the 9" is found in Mitsubishi trucks with a 3.0 V6, any with the 3.5 V6 got the bigger axle. I have swapped the SR axle and it's Montero Sport/Triton counterpart into every configuration of Mitsubishi 4x4 so far. I wish i had found your post sooner as I may have been some help.

Personally i like to just the Sport/Triton variation of this axle for swaps under the leaf sprung Mitsus, The Sport axle '97-99 is a near direct swap depend on the year and drivetrain of the recipient. For example a v6 Mighty Max in most cases will just take the Sport axle like it was made for it. There are some exceptions like yoke to pinion flange bolt spacing is sometimes different but the center bore is the same so it's easy to DIY new holes without worries of the shaft being off center.
    Putting the V6 axles into the 4cyl powered 4x4's is a bit tougher because the centering bores are very different and the yoke bolt pattern is really close to the flange radius. What i do is machine a spacer to fit (interference fit actually) the ID of the flange and the OD of the yoke then once it's pressed together i face it on a lathe.

I did the whole chop off all the SR coil sprung brackets and swapped that axle in a spring over leaf setup. It wasn't bad, took me a few hours to prep the axle and a couple more to set it up under my pickup. Totally worth it, where else can you get an air locker for a couple hundred dollars? not to mention the beefy axle it's attached to.

As far as Ford 9" compatibility goes it's a cut and retube operation, the splines on the Mitsu 9" match the splines on the Ford Small bearing 9" and the shafts on the Mitsu 9.5" match the big bearing Ford 9". The Ford splines are a rougher cut so sometimes you need to polish them up with a scotch write pad or fine sandpaper.
    Is the 90+ 3.0l 4x4 mighty max the same rear differential as the mid 90's monteros? Being either a 9" or 9.5" I have a 90 MM 3.0 4x4 and it's center pumpkin looks just like my 95 montero sr pumpkin. I want to pull the locker pumpkin in the montero and drop it into my mighty max. Is those doable?

Also are ford 9" ring and pinions able to swap in with no issues?

Array
    Status
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Your '95 has a different rear axle, you need one from a 3.0 powered Montero.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    I'm worried you might be right. Does That also mean the locker would not interchange too?

Array
    Status
    Mesa, Az
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Does not interchange 28 vs 31 spline. Also the axles with the locker have one short axle shaft so you would need to have some machine work done to make it work in your truck with your original axle. The easiest thing to do is find a 97-99 Montero Sport with a locker and swap the whole thing in (these are leaf sprung and will bolt up) otherwise just swap a Montero axle in if you know how to weld. Plus getting the newer axle will get you disc brakes.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Thanks for responding. I wonder if I can just pull the axle shafts then on my 95 SR, cut off the excess length (hopefully there is enough spline)and install the pumpkin or locker into my MM 8" axle. Not really looking to swap in a 3" wider axle at this point if I don't need to. The discs look to bolt up on my axle as well.