Thread: Mighty Max oil seal leaking again...

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type

Mighty Max oil seal leaking again...

I have a 1996 Mighty Max 2WD, 2.4 liter. I've changed the oil pump seal 7 times now and it's still leaking, leaks approx. 1qt every 300 miles. I've used the repair sleeve on the oil pump gear but hasn't helped. Back pressure isn't an issue, any ideas? Would a bad balance shaft or oil pump cause this? I'm going to tae the timing belt co off today to watch for any wobbl while it's running. Thanks!!!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You may need to change the front cover, oil pump, and cover cover. It's the big aluminum plate bolted onto the front of the engine. Somthing is out of round or warn out. Or it could be the O ring just above the pulley. There is only a bushing behind the oil pump drive. It can get warn and then the pulley will pull with the belt and distort the seal.
    Last edited by camoit; 06-01-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

Engine

Thanks for the reply, this thing has me extremely frustrated. It's a great motor other than this problem but I'm dropping a quart of oil in it every week now. Let me ask a question... when I take the oil pump gear, or drivers side balance shaft gear (whichever it is) off and look back into the area that the shaft comes out of, there is a small hole that is leaking oil out. The hole looks like the one you would find on a water pump that lets you know when the bearings have failed. This hole sits right behind the seal and I don't have a clue why it's there or if it's normal for that small amount of oil to be coming out. It could be that it's suppose to leak a little when something back in there fails, I just don't know. If something is out of wack do you think I would see it with the motor running and the timing belt covers off? Thanks again for the reply

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    IDK about the hole. But I just put up a thread about installing an eliminator kit. I'm not saying to do that but it has some pictures that may help you. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...0434#post20434

But how much shaft end play and radial play does it have. The housing may be warn on the oil pump gear side and be allowing to much pressure to bypass the gear set. What is the oil pressure you have? You may have somthing going on in there.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    275,000 miles on my truck, bearing isn't even making a whimper yet. Leaking holes are bad, especially when your putting a lot of oil in truck. Is oil getting all over the motor and stuff around the hole? Your not leaking from oil pan maybe, take a look under truck. Powerwash the motor and check after a drive for oil leaking. Does it leak while driving or parked the most. Make sure Half moon on back of valve cover is good and is still there.
    If it was out of wack, It would probably bust the belt and cause a nasty motor vibration.

Array
    Status
    Marion NC
    Vehicle

Engine

I pressure washed the motor when I first changed the seal, the leak is definately coming from that same seal. The pan gasket is fine also. I will post a pic of the hole I'm talking about next day I have a chance to take the front end apart again. I'm really starting to think it has some play in the shaft somewhere it's not suppose to. Thanks again for the help. I don't know the ins and outs of this motor so can anyone tell me, does the gear that is turned by the timing belt actually turn an oil pump or just a balance shaft?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    It turns the shaft and one of the gears, it's the drive for the pump. It could also be the tip of the shaft got bent some how. You would need to put a dial indicator on it to see. A couple of thousands is ok but more then .004 is real bad.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.