Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

boosted 4g64 8v or 16v head

okay so i have been wanting to boost my MM and have just been confused and driven crazy with the research and looking ive been doing. I really wanna keep the stock 2.4l block and not do a engine swap and here's were i get confused can i and should i run a gallant/eclipse 2.4l 16v head or 63 dohc head i think i would rather run sohc 16v. but if i were to do the swap what all would i need like the head, head cover, water pump, intake, computer, etc.... it would be a DD and not be over 10-12 psi so if you guys could just help me out give me some help and tips it would be much appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    4G64.jpg

Images showing 2 versions of 8v and the single 16v

Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    so would it be usable?

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    The man to talk to on this stuff probably be Pennyman1 or maybe Camoit. Pennyman1 is the Encyclopedia Britannica of Mitsubishi knowledge. He'll probably chime in once he catches the thread.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I know project zero g has a tech wright up on what you can and can not swap between these trucks. I thought about doing that at one time, but went a hole other direction. 16 will get you better flow but you might need to do other internal mods to get the correct compression ratio.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There have been several people talk about this swap - if you can find a 16v sohc head that has a distributor on it it MAY work - the issue is the 16v sohc head is a JSM head, and the manifolds and sensors may be in different places or not be there at all. They are all from the same astron engine family, but interchange is not guarenteed. I think the 16v sohc head you want is from a JSM truck engine - i swear I remember seeing one somewhere a while back. For all the work to get it running, a whole engine swap would be easier, and you would still need to make the same mods to the engine bay and harness to get it to run, with better success.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I looked into this at one time. I considered doing a distributor head (since the int/exh ports are on the correct side) and putting a cam sensor in it with that style ECU since there's no room for a dist and the only head with a cam sensor has the int/exh ports on the wrong sides. If you get an ECU for a m/t car then it should work since even a/t's aren't computer controlled. I think i remember them saying that the head will bolt up no problems it's just the work involved making it fit correctly.

You'll probably get better gains from a 4g63 head swap. I know they effect the compression ratios, allow for higher revs. etc.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    The big advantage to a 16V Head is the Performance parts availability. Springs, valves, manifolds etc. Big Aftermarket. you also get better breathing.
    There is NO aftermarket for the 8V head, (as we all know). Cam Angle sensor stuff is not a problem the 8V head uses one built into the base of the distributor. I eliminated my distributor cap and rotor and have a dual coil setup from an eclipse. You do need an Eclipse ECU though to handle the dual Coil.

Compression Ratio isn't a big deal, I'm using 10:1 with a Turbo motor, what Octane Fuel you use will be a concern.

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Couldn't you just take the head and intake and computer off an old dodge caravan that had the factory turbo with the I believe it had the same 2.4? or was it a totally different engine?

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    No I don't think it will work the 2.5 turbo is a modified version of the 2.2 Chrysler own design.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanzytinkerz View Post
    Couldn't you just take the head and intake and computer off an old dodge caravan that had the factory turbo with the I believe it had the same 2.4? or was it a totally different engine?

Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    okay well let me ask u guys this how hard would it be to turbo a 8v head ive seen it dont and the guy pushed 450hp

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Talk to LSR Mike , he turbo'd his 4g64 with dohc head.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Sorry,No i didn't I did it with the 8V SOHC.

Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yeah i private messaged him asking how he went about turboing the 8v and he hasnt said anything back

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Dont know y I put dohc head I meant sohc

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by seth3678pb View Post
    yeah i private messaged him asking how he went about turboing the 8v and he hasnt said anything back
    Hmmm, I don't have any PM's from you in my folder? have a look here http://mmeierle.com for lots of photo's. I built mine for racing, and it wasn't cheap, nor for the faint of heart.

Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well in your opinion what would be the cheapest route then

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    The big advantage to a 16V Head is the Performance parts availability. Springs, valves, manifolds etc. Big Aftermarket. you also get better breathing.
    There is NO aftermarket for the 8V head, (as we all know). Cam Angle sensor stuff is not a problem the 8V head uses one built into the base of the distributor. I eliminated my distributor cap and rotor and have a dual coil setup from an eclipse. You do need an Eclipse ECU though to handle the dual Coil.

Compression Ratio isn't a big deal, I'm using 10:1 with a Turbo motor, what Octane Fuel you use will be a concern.
    See above response, If I had it to do over it would have been a DOHC Swap, There is an aftermarket for that head. If you go the SOHC Route then it all one off and you're the engineer/system integrator and have to figure everything out, and suffer the mistakes and end up have an interesting collection of expensive, but useless offerings to the God's of Speed. I already had a bunch of money into the head before I went Turbo

Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yeah i understand and i have found a 2.4 dohc idk if its g63 or g64 but it has dohc 2000 on the vavle cover i was goin to get it but it does not include ecu or wiring harness or would i need that

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    If you go dohc you'll want the ecu and wiring

Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yeah thats what i thoughty it was at the junk yard ill prolly go to pull a part and see what they have because they have tons of mitsubishi's but also i confused about if i would be running distributor or coil pack.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    If you use the DOHC, and ECU you will be using the Dual Coil pack AND Igniter (Transistor Pack). The CAS takes care of the Distributor duty. you will need to add a wire from the ECU to the Igniter for the second coil.

I used a AEM Aftermarket (30-1300) unit for the Eclipse and converted mine to eliminate the distributor and use the Dual Coil and igniter from a Eclipse Donor. you also need the throttlebody from the Eclipse,the ISC motors are different but the wiring is the same (go figure).

While you're in the yard, dig the ECU out from behind the center console and cut the plugs off as far back into the harness as you can. this gives you spare Connector shells in case one gets broken (like I did) and also a crap load of spare pins to add new wires where you will need them.

The Pinouts and Connectors on the ECU on our Trucks and the Eclipse/Talon/Laser line are identical, they just have more wires for the additional functions so there is a Blank spot in the truck connector where the Second coil output for the Eclipse is. here's a look at my spaghetti during the conversion

Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    alright ima save up some money to do it all but i got another question has there ever been a rotary put ina mm cuz i was thinkin of puttin a 13b in mine instead of doing all the mods to the 4g64 jus to turbo it.

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    The Rotary's are fun but have even worse reliability then a Mit's ever had. If you want to get 12mpg then go with a 13B or Big block V-8 as they get the same mileage.Granted the 13B is light but a big block has 100 time's the torque

Array
    Status
    lexington NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    oh damn never mind i really didnt know they had that bad of mpg i jus thought about it because of being a small and light motor but i guess i will be goin with the head swap but im not worried about anything mechanical swapping over just electronic cuz i realy dont have alot of experience with whole ecu and sensor side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast