Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Manual steering....you got to be kidding me

Well since I lowered the truck and added my 235/45-17's I get smiles and thumbs up all the time, but this manual steering chit is starting to get old. This weekend I'll be out on the hunt for a pump, res, box and hoses....wish me well cause it's like a needle in a hay stack.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah I had a 85 Nissan 720 awhile back that was 4wd with a Z24 and it had BFG 35" mud tires. It was a bear to turn. Basically it WOULDN'T turn unless the vehicle was moving, even on dirt.

it's surprising that a/c is more common on these trucks since it was a dealer add on. If they didn't come with p/s from the factory then tough s**t. But the swap is very easy. I did it on my truck about a month ago before doing a/c. The lines will be a tight fit on the driver side going under the brake lines. You'll have to bend em a little then bend back. Just a warning. Also when you find one don't forget to snag the water pump pulley. Theyre different between p/s and m/s.
    When you put the p/s on you'll think well it doesn't feel any different... Until you try to back out of a tight parking spot lol They feel identical exept there's no resistance when not moving. Another thing. A hint that I learned the hard way, There's a hole in the body of the truck for getting the bolt off where the column meets the box. Don't try taking it out from the top lol

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    yeah it takes all the fun out of driving it. Thanks for the tips on install and removing. Next will be finding the truck with p/s. The LKQ junkyard doesn't tell you anything over the phone, so with them having 3 trucks in Tampa (hour and a half drive one way), I'll just have to see when I get there if any of them has p/s. I was looking and it seems the steering box is the same on 87-96 but the pitman arm is different from the 2.0 to 2.4's. An I assume the p/s pump is the same but the brackets are probably different as well.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah brackets are different and 2.6 is totally different system. The boxes will bolt up no problem. The pitman arms should be the same but they aren't keyed but they are marked so lining up won't be a big issue but they should be replaced while you do it anyway since you're already there. Best to pull the box with the arm and replace it later since you won't be getting the old arm off at the junkyard. Theyre up there pretty tight even with a puller.

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    powersteering.jpgWell today I made the trip to St. Pete to check out a 92 M/M with automatic. I knew with that option it had to have power steering. Well I was right, but when I approached I noticed the steering was already gone...DAMN! But I got all the other parts I need which as we know are harder to come by...I guess I scored then....YEAH! So with a 4 hour drive, 3/4 tank of gas and $92 later......I got this