Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

KM-145 Tranny Info.

So here some information I found on some differences between the KM-145 and KM-132 trans. In my ignorance I thought they were identical with the only exception being the tail extension housing one for 4WD and one for 2WD. WRONG!! Attachment 5685 So here is some of scrap metal found when I pulled the pan. Attachment 5686Attachment 5687 Input shaft bearing, the scrap on the right in pic one is part of bearing that work its way through into main side of case and these are showing the reason for rebuild.
    Last edited by mopar_ja; 05-28-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: cant get pics and writing the way i like it is all automatic and fucked up

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    edit> go advanced then try uploading them again and click insert in line.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    So does this mean that a 2wd trans can't just be swapped out into a 4wd set-up with a transfer case? Need to know ASAP as I am possibly buying a 2wd trans for 50 bucks out of an 86.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tanzytinkerz View Post
    So does this mean that a 2wd trans can't just be swapped out into a 4wd set-up with a transfer case? Need to know ASAP as I am possibly buying a 2wd trans for 50 bucks out of an 86.
    Correct sir, and here's whytranny8.jpg Here is what your output shaft looks like (A) it is longer (B) notice the small detent just below the threads a small bearing fits there with matching washer then the lock nut, locking the whole assembly together. KM-132 2wd does not have this locking detent.
    Last edited by mopar_ja; 05-29-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here is another difference.tranny10.jpg This is a side by side of the complete 5th gear and reverse as they would be installed. Left one is 4x4 KM-145. Right one is the KM-132 2wd. The small spacer on top of left one is where the small cutout detent is that matches up on the shaft. I am sure if you were to swap all these parts around you could possibly make it work, but then whats point you might as well just rebuild your old one.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yet another difference.tranny20.jpg Output shaft bearing side by side KM-145 4x4 on left with spacer, Right is KM-132 2wd. Now I bought a rebuild kit off E-bay from Trans world for about 150.00 they said it would works for both trannies WRONG!!! do not do it for us 4wd guys it will cheaper to tear down your old one and replace each bearing as needed or required. The bearing on right is the ONLY output bearing that came with the kit, Now I tried using it to no avail unless I wanted to modify the spacer you see on left. The reason for this Km-132 uses a double roller 145 single roller that is why I wanted to use it. So I ended up buying new stock replacement single roller.
    Last edited by mopar_ja; 05-29-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here's the photos of me trying to use the 132 double roller.tranny19.jpgtranny21.jpgtranny23.jpgtranny24.jpg Notice the gaps in the main shaft or the lack there of. That is why I said f it bought stock replacement.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here's the reason for my rebuild.Trannyscrap1.jpgTranny.jpgTranny1.jpg The scraps in pic one actually worked their way through the bearing into main case I found them when I pulled inspection cover off bottom of tranny. They are spring for front oil seal and bits of the retainer that holds the actual bearings apart.

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Damn.. that helps a lot in the wrong way I was hoping. Glad that I didn't buy the wrong trans. Now Where do I start looking for the cheapest way to replace or repair my trans?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Mopar_Ja, Is it possible for him to use the 2WD trany and build a drive line, trany mount/ cross member and remove the front drive line?
    Then it would just be 2WD? I'm just looking at all the possibilities here.

Also when you get time can you build up a page in the tech section of what you came across in your endeavor. It will help a lot of people in the rebuild process of there 4X4. Unless you just want to here them cussing out there truck on these quiet summer nights. lol

If you have the extra 50 to pick up the trans I would suggest you do, as syncro and other parts can be used to fix things that can not be found easily anymore. Also there is someone on here that wants parts at some point in there life. More parts = more life.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    you could just run in 2wd, drop the x-case, build custom mount and x-member and I believe I still have your old 2wd two piece drive shaft which is longer. As far as their cussing it could add some comic relief for the rest of us.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    What's wrong with yours if you know or could find out, let me know. I still have a wide block 132 in box that I acquired if you need some parts that you can not get like gear sets. That is also one the other differences the 145 the gears are about 1/4 inch wider making them stronger than the 132.
    Damn.. that helps a lot in the wrong way I was hoping. Glad that I didn't buy the wrong trans. Now Where do I start looking for the cheapest way to replace or repair my trans?

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Trying to take the transfer case apart of the trans, but cannot get the shifter rod loose to seperate them. I believe my problem is just shot bearings as the gears grind and I do not have 5th gear, but when taking the bottom plate off the trans, and no gears look broken or worn, so I'm thinking bearings, seals, syncro's and I am back on the road. I cannot get the two seperated though.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The shifter cup has a roll pin in it that needs to come out I had to drill mine out as it would not budge I actually bent my 3/16 punch I was that stuck. But check this out I just found it http://paceperformance.com/i-1013354...m145-core.html it might not be worth it to rebuild as I did.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I ran the number separately MT-DG-KM154-Core it also comes up on car-id for sale in stock for 250.00 plus core. Really so with that price is it really worth rebuilding unless you want experience.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hell, if its true I might just order one for a spare and send them one of my 132's as core.

Array
    Status
    kinsley ks
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok I read this thread previously but forgot. I have a 4x4 with a bad transmission and was basically givin a 2wd parts truck with a good transmission. I thought MAYBE the internals would be the same and the only difference would be the output shaft but now I see there is way more. I guess I am diff. going to have to get a reman transmission as I CANNOT get the bearing off the output shaft.. Anybody know the least expensive place to get a reman transmission?

Array
    Status
    Prunetucky, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Output shaft or counter shaft or input shaft? In my experience getting the bearings off is a matter of having the right tools and a little bit of knowhow. The one tool that you will absolutely need is Posilock TJ1 bearing puller. The Posilock is just way better than any other puller (even the Miller original factory service tool). That tool will get the input and output shaft bearings out in less than 5 minutes. Now the countershaft bearings are a real pain on this because they require a special Miller cup bearing puller or you can custom make a tool that works fairly well out of the Harbor Freight $49 bearing puller kit, you will still have to remove the studs for the bearing retainer to get the tool to fit in the snap ring groove. Everything else is Lego blocks simple if you can get those 4 bearings off. Oh and if you remove anything off the shafts just thread it in sequence on a piece of solid copper wire so that the sequence remains unchanged for reassembly.

Array
    Status
    tacoma wa
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    I want to seperate the aft portion of the 145 trans but can,t info how to do that as well as the dississembly of the gearbox???

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    what about the 2.6 bolted to a 132 going onto a 145 that had a 2.6 on it?

Array
    Status
    Cant Say
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Salteen View Post
    what about the 2.6 bolted to a 132 going onto a 145 that had a 2.6 on it?
    its a 1982 with a 2.6 i dont want to change transmissions the 145 has higher 1st and second. its going in a 1987

Array
    Status
    Lake Isabella Ca.
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    I am new to forums and this is an older thread so I don't know if there will be any replies but I have a couple of questions about the transmission bearings. I have two transmission that came out of 4wd diesel pickups. The one came out of the 1984 Ram 50 that I have been using for a several years but it was getting a whine to it. I pulled it apart to replace bearings. The other transmission is a bit heavier duty but has the front input gear totally destroyed. It has a constant mesh reverse gear with a much bigger idler gear. It also has tapered roller bearing on it on both ends of the case with the normal ball bearing on the end of the counter shaft. The transmission that came out of my truck had a tapered roller bearing on the front and a double ball bearing on the back of the case. That is the bearing that is bad. What I am wondering if I could replace that bearing with a tapered roller bearing and machine spacers to for adjustment of the bearings and to center the counter shaft in the case. I was also wondering if I could put the better reverse setup on my transmission that now has the square cut gear with the smaller Idler? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Rick.