Thread: Alternator went out, what did you do?

Array
    Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T

Alternator went out, what did you do?

My alternator crapped out on me, well my stepson after he snuck out of the house one night. Anyway, what did you do? Rebuild the factory one. Get a replacement. Upgrade to say, a GM CS series. Wrngwae had told me he wanted to upgrade to the GM alt and use an electric vacuum pump. That is completely doable since I have several Starion vacuum pumps lying around.

Thanks
    Kane

Array
    Status
    Lewistown, PA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    I installed a Nippondenso 120 Amp Alternator (for a Dodge Caravan or newer Dodge Truck) on mine and converted to Hydroboost Brakes (since i no longer had a vacuum pump). The ND Alternator is almost the same (dimensions) as the Mitsu Alternator. You can even use the same brackets to mount it. You just need the Voltage Regulator for a 1970 - 1986-ish Dodge/Plymouth Car or Truck (to be safe, order one for a 1974 Plymouth Duster) and the Pigtail. Both parts are available over the counter at any parts store. The Voltage Regulators usually come with a handy Wiring Diagram in the box too.

Here's Mine with a Nippondenso 120a Alternator (prior to removing the engine, due to a locked up balancing shaft)

You'll have to swap the Pulley over from your old Alternator, since most ND alts are Serpentine.

Array
    Status
    Laporte, IN
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    i would go gm 1 wire Kane,,,,,,,,,but you better get pics,,,,,,,,or im gonna be mad lol.........all you need the vac for is your power brakes. all the heat controls are cable operated.........so hell yea.........bigger alternator and a vac pump to the booster and call her done.....ya know that alternator has been replaced 3x,,,,,,,,,

Array
    Status
    AR
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    wrngwae

Any suggestions for a vacume pump. No yards around my place so I'll just get a new one. Have the alt reg and pig tail on the way. Maybe that'll get me back in the groove for putting it all back together.
    bosn

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    replaced mine with a surplus unit. changed the oil seals and carbon brushes and check the stator and rotor for opens and shorts . had a leak problem with vacuum pump but sorted it out. sometimes you got to love surplus!

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    btw, its a VALEO alternator. the previous one was an orig mitsu unit.

Array
    Status
    Philippines
    Vehicle

Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by 74Dusted View Post
    I installed a Nippondenso 120 Amp Alternator (for a Dodge Caravan or newer Dodge Truck) on mine and converted to Hydroboost Brakes (since i no longer had a vacuum pump). The ND Alternator is almost the same (dimensions) as the Mitsu Alternator. You can even use the same brackets to mount it. You just need the Voltage Regulator for a 1970 - 1986-ish Dodge/Plymouth Car or Truck (to be safe, order one for a 1974 Plymouth Duster) and the Pigtail. Both parts are available over the counter at any parts store. The Voltage Regulators usually come with a handy Wiring Diagram in the box too.

Here's Mine with a Nippondenso 120a Alternator (prior to removing the engine, due to a locked up balancing shaft)

You'll have to swap the Pulley over from your old Alternator, since most ND alts are Serpentine.
    you cancelled your balance shafts? looks like you got no balancer belts

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Forget all the rigging when you can get a factory mitsubishi alternator with new vacuum pump for $170. The 83 model is the only one available. I've bought lots of those and they are like a new unit. So unless you need more amperage which most people don't there is your option. Save time and hassle of rigging things.