Array
    Status
    Ogden, Utah
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

emergency emissions pass

Hello All, new here so I thought I'd say hello and share a tip that maybe you already know about.

Denatured alcohol. I put a quart of it into my tank, had about 1.5 gal of existing gas.
    It made it so I could pass and get back on the road (and stop the no registration tickets!) and give me some time to try figure out why my 2500 RPM CO output is so high (measured 4.9 before the denatured alcohol, and 0.5 after) I was passing on everything else, but the high RPM carbon was killing me before.

I know it wasn't a permanent fix, but it got me through emissions, now to figure out what's going on with my truck.
    Now that the weather is hot, It's having some serious vapor lock type issues. But I'll probably post my symptoms / problems in another thread.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Toluene can work also, it raises up the ole Octane too. Cleans internal engine parts, fuel injectors and such. I would put about 1 gallon per 10 gallons of fuel. Though raising octane if your engine isn't pinging and knocking is worthless, it does have some decent cleaning agents. After you run the tank, fill with your normal fuel and heat engine and head to emission test.

Most the time if your going for a smog test, get the motor to full operating temp. Not a short drive either, you want to hit the freeway and really get things warm. Then get to your smog check as soon as possible.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    High CO output is a result of a rich mixture or a misfire. The alcahol did what ethanol does. It lowered the octane so there wasn't as much to burn. You may have a simple O2 sensor issue, MAF issue or intake leak.