Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Just wont throttle up! 2.4

Hello all! First post here. I have done some extensive research and just cant find exactly what im looking for. I am working on a 94 MM 2.4 and the distributor, Dis. cap, timing belt, coil, wires, everything that could be replaced pretty much has been. The problem that I have is we finally got the beast running, it will idle just fine (well now it will) but it will NOT throttle up. Could this be the MAF or the TPS? If so can I just hijack an MAF off of a 94 eclipse? I am really stumped on what is causing the problem. We have checked most of the vacuum lines and they seem to be good. Except for one labeled 'E" snapped off of the sensor, so we just plugged it for now. Im trading my cruddy ol BMW 325i for this truck so the faster I get this fixed the faster it is mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks everyone. (if i got any of this wrong dont cut me down please lol) I will post pictures soon.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I know the book can be deceiving on the timing mark. The picture is not that clear. But I think your off by 1 tooth on the cam timing. Here is a good picture of what there should be. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...am-Timing-Mark I'm pretty sure yours should be the same. It's the casting mark just below the flat of the head. If it's not on the right spot then you will need to advance the dist as far as it will go just to make it start. Then it does not want to rev up. You can trick it to by opening the throttle slowly but many times it just slows down and dies. Does this sound like you?
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well we double checked the timing marks. Everything seems to be straight. We came across another issue that someone may have put diesel in the tank. So we're going to dump all the gas and start fresh. And add some injector cleaner. We installed a new (used) MAF and I'm going to tow it to oreilly so we can get a read out on it. I really need to get this thing going so I'm hoping it is a vacuum issue. We can get it to idle still, it's pretty rough but we got it to throttle a little bit but nothing to build our hopes up. Could the diesel and vacuum issue be the main issue?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    diesel will make it smoke real bad or just not run at all.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    ok so one of the vacuum lines snapped off right at the sensor that lines "E" and "A" connect to. the solenoid vacuum sensor I believe. Could this be the culprit? Thanks in advance.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Rockauto.com has the part you need. I think that is where izekeepitclean got his from.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Ok so I believe my problem is just timing from here on out, BUT I do have a couple questions, on my cam there is a mark in the teeth, now thats the mark we have been going off of, we cant seem to find another one, and I also spotted a vacuum line off of the backside (toward the cab) that is plugged with a screw, where is this line supposed to lead? Im so close to having this baby going, and I hate bumming rides from the ol lady to work. Here are some pics of what im talking about. TIA

photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I know the timing mark we have isnt in the correct spot in the picture, and the small electrical sensors are what I was talking about before. I southern engineered a new little nipple on the cleaner looking one so that i could connect the line again.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Just got my chilton today. And upon some more research I believe the main issue is my "egr solenoid" (cleaner looking component pictured above) problem is, I cannot for the life of me find any way or any site to buy a new one. Not even rock auto had the part. Can someone please show me where I can find one.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    OK FOLKS! I got my baby running!! Took it to a shop and the fella there told me to chop off my exhaust because my cat. was clogged. Aaaaaannnndd turns out I had the wrong rotar on as well so I swapped out the new with the old and its running like a champ on all four. Just gotta get a timing light and ill be perfect!

Array
    Status
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Don't take it off just take it down (4 bolts) then take a pry bar and take out your aggression on the innards of said cat you just took off. Once its clear put it back up. Then (at least in virginia) the inspector won't fail you for not having a cat because they wont know

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    ya, but don't throw the inside stuff into the local river or lake either, lol. The stuff actually has some precious metal value.

Selonoid? someone say selonoid? if you can get a better picture I can check my Mitsubishi drawer. I got 2 and 3 of many extra stuff.
    Always bring a big bucket when you got to wrecking yards.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well I chopped a lot of it off. I'm going to throw a glass pack on it and ride out. My timin is still a little off and a little sputtery but I'm actually driving it around.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I swear I posted last week about someone having this exact problem and I mentioned the cat at the very start lol You can manually adjust the distributor to fine tune the timing unless it's a tooth off.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    To adjust the base timing you need to ground out a plug on the fender. LSRMike has a picture of the plug. Look around the site you will find it all over the place.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well the timing seems to be the closest I can get it. My main issue is the sputtering at low accelerating speeds. It spits a little at high RPMs but not as much as the lower end. It idles absolutely fine, but I think a vacuum issue is making my ecu dump fuel, because its running very rich. And it sometimes dies when its shifted into gear or when coming to a stop. Everynow and then it feels like it does not down shift to first and has no power when leaving a stop, it just sounds really low and unhappy. I have been driving it everyday and it runs fine doesnt over heat but like I said i think its a vacuum issue. There is one line that is just plugged with a tube and a screw in it, it is located closest to the firewall, right behind the ECI MULTI emblem. when its removed it runs like garbage if at all, where does this line usually connect to? Sorry about the rant.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    The plug im talking about is the last picture posted above.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I think it's the AC idle up solenoid.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I have no idea where this connects to. I have searched hi and low for it in the diagrams but I got nothing. Camoit or anyone, if you have a picture or something it would make this so much easier.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It should be part of the IAC which is on the throttle body closer to the rear

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I cant seem to find a part or nipple to attach a line.

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    image.jpggimage.jpg sorry about the double pics

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You mean that vaccum line on the intake? It doesn't go to anything. I had my engine out and it was open when I got the truck and me and my dad went all over the truck for hours trying to find what it could go to but mine looks IDENTICAL to yours. A hose with a screw. There's nowhere it CAN go. They had a plug from the factory that probably cracks and falls off with age. Turbo the truck then it'll be a perfect boost gauge port

Array
    Status
    Snyder TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I want to turbo the truck at some point. Nothing too extreme. And thank you for the help I was stressing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast