Array
    Status
    milford pa
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

fuel tank

can someone please enlighten me on where i can find a damn fuel tank for a 89 dodge RAM 50. i can only find first gen. fuel tanks and they seem to be about 4 inches longer and a little smaller height wise. im in the process of building this truck, im fabing new rear crossmember and the round tube cross member for the tank in the rear but i would reallt like the stock size.. i also gotta patch the frame and fab new rear shackle mounts.. im guessing we cant buy these either ehy (shackle mounts)? I looked but couldnt find so im thinking ill just buy some think square stock and weld it... drill a hole and weld in round tube for the shackle bolt sleeve is. also is there anything worng with me making the sleeve 2 inches higher? i wanna lower it so i figure i can get 2 inches outta the shackle mount and another 2 inches with blocks... will this through the pinion angle to far off? anyone info will be appreciated... thanks alot!

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    they don't make aftermarket tanks for the second gens for some reason. your only hope is finding a used tank that someone or a salvage yard is selling.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Try auto wreckers in North Carolina for a fuel tank. Be sure to get the right one as well. Wheel base, reg or ext cab, 2 wd or 4wd all make a difference with the fuel tank. FYI I just had the fuel tank in my '88 refurbished. They repaired the leak and then coated it with some kind of epoxy. They said it would last indefinitely now. Not cheap but like you are finding out, tanks are hard to find.

Array
    Status
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    What does a used tank sell for these days? [In case I get a Fuel Cell and want to sell my tank.]

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    One million dollars. dr-evil.jpg
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    How about some gold. I do love gold.
    Gold.jpg

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ha, Ha ......yes, the tank repair was not cheap either. The shop I took it to does gas tanks and radiators. They did the r&r and drove the tank to Toronto to get repaired as it was too far gone for them to fix. The place in T.O. that's all they do. Then they had to go and pick it up when it was finished. Over $700 by the time it was done. The same shop also found me a tank for my 89 4x4 when I got it 5 yrs ago. They had a guy in the U.S. looking for parts for other vehicles. They got hold of him and he brought a tank back. That one only cost me $400 installed and it was in A1 condition.

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    So does anyone know anything about any kind of tank that would work? I don't care if it is a first gen, I find them all over the place for around $174. How different are those compared to 2nd get? (btw mine is an 88 power ram 50 sport 4wd). I need one quite badly, it's my daily driver and leaks fuel like there's no tomorrow and it's getting very old and really starting to tick me off. The sad thing is the truck is in really good shape. Anyways any input will be valuable.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You might find something here. www.car-part.com. Have you looked into having yours refurbished? Mine was kind of costly but I had little choice at the time. Truck was down for a week also.

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I got looking at it and if i can get a "bag"/liner, or whatever those radiator shops put in fuel tanks, then yeah I'll probably have it done. The guy I talked to said he'd have to look at it before he will touch it, but it's not as bad as I thought. The bad thing is that I didn't realize my frame is toast, there's another project lol.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You probably get the road salt same as we do here. As the crow flies there's about 200 miles between your village and mine. My frame is getting pretty thin in places as well.

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Oh yeah road salt is a plague here where I live, and yeah I'm thinking maybe I can save it by slapping on some meat and welding that sucker up so it will hold. Maybe one day we'll all find that rust free frame -yeah right...