Status
    Waynesboro, PA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

In Memorial

Hello All,

I'm new to the Dodge Ram 50 but am quite passionate about restoring my Dad's old truck. He bought this truck about 4 years ago and had some engine troubles with it. He loved the truck so much he tracked down someone who had an overhauled replacement. He pieced most of the motor back together (with the exception of installing the distributor and fine-tuning the carb). Unfortunately, some guy he knew threw the other pieces together and the truck has never run the same. My father always to pulled the motor and start over to ensure the issue wasn't something with a cylinder or compression.
    He was later diagnosed with cancer and lost that fight before bringing this beast back to life. So I have stepped in to not only troubleshoot (and hopefully fix) the mechanical issues. But I am also going to try and restore the truck. I stumbled on this site and figured with the brain-power contained in these forums, a guy like me could work to accomplish this goal with a little guidance at times.

I fixed several issues so far: Busted rocker arm lash adjuster, corrected the timing a bit, and had to adjust the idle speed (as it was cranking at around 3000 rpms) now I'm trying to pinpoint another issue with the motor chocking out when I put the truck in gear. I'm going to start with a fuel filter since the truck has been sitting for the last year and a half, is there anything else that may be need to be further assessed or replaced?

This is an 87 - Ram50-4cyl-2.6L-4WD-Auto, with stock carburetor.

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome to the site!

Very sorry to hear about your dad man. I lost my mom 1 and half years ago to cancer as well. Horrible thing for anyone to have to go through. It's a great thing you're doing with the truck though.

We've got a lot of knowledgeable people on here that I'm sure are more than willing to help ya out!
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Welcome to the board. My condolences with your dad. Make a thread in the appropriate place for us to help you diagnose your engine problems. Try to be as descriptive as possible and inform us of any changes or findings to further us leafing you in the right direction. I hope you getting this thing running perfect.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    welcome and post accordingly and i am sure all/most problems will be solved.

Array
    Status
    Farmington, UT
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D56-T
    Welcome, do you have any pics of the truck cause we love pics.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance View Post
    Welcome, do you have any pics of the truck cause we love pics.
    yeah we love us some pics...