Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

a/t issues when cold

So my trans has been working good since I changed the fluid and adjusted the kickdown linkage. I've noticed when I first start the truck up when it's cold it doesn't wana go when you put it in gear. You've gota give it some gas. Once it gets moving it's good. Its just that first takeoff after startup. I've noticed this getting worse lately. I'm curious if there's anything I could do? Or could a trans flush do the trick? I know when i drained the fluid and changed the filter I only got about 4 quarts and the trans holds like 10?

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Low tranny fluid will cause that problem till it warms up. let the truck get up to operating temp then check the fluid with the engine running. you might be low and the pump is bleeding out when it sits and repriming on first start up. you might be 1-1.5L low.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Good call. I checked it when I got home and it was about 1/4" below the bottom mark of the "C" section so it's about 1-2 qts low. I'll get 2 qts of bulk ATF+4 from work tomorrow and add to it when I get home. Makes sense. The truck has always seemed sluggish and got poor MPG since I changed the trans fluid. Low fluid pressure or slippage could explain why. I just thought it was part of owning a power hogging automatic.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    oh man, fordbushi just saved your trany dood, lol. That new job must be distracting you or something from your normal train of thought.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Probably. I spent years at nissan doing all the diagnostic work and heavy line drivetrain work and now I'm primarily doing alignments, used cars and mitsubishis the rare site they are.