Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

adding a/c or p/s?

So I came across a early 2nd gen long bed truck at the junkyard with a 2.4L auto 2wd that had a/c and power steering. I'd like to swap all that over to my truck. Is there anything big I'll need besides the basic components? Is the a/c electrical just the button, a relay and the compressor?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    all mounting brackets and pulleys. But look at the steering box. I don't remember off the top, if the mounts on the inside of the frame VS the outside. Be sure to look at yours then that one.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Mine's an outboard and so is this one i believe. There seems to be alot of info that people online aren't sure of as far as which one each vehicle has. I'd have to have to replace one. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the idler arm off the box at the junkyard since with a puller theyre still a b**tch to get apart without air tools and this one's sitting in the dirt. I think p/s will be pretty simple. Add pump + resevoir, swap water pump and crank pulleys, run lines + belt and install a p/s gear box but a/c is what I"m worried most about. It'll take more work to get out and installed then it's the wiring. Benefit is I'm looking at less than $200 to get all the parts and pieces.
    Last edited by recian; 04-27-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the a/c controller is either mounted on the evap box, or under the dash - just follow the wires off the A/C switch to it. The p/s box on a 4wd is outboard - rather than pull the pitman arm at the yard, leave it on and pull it later on a bench. Take the dash bezel where the a/c switch is and the surround - never know when you will need one.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    You'll have to fill that AC unit also since they dump that freon out , or supose to upon placement in wrecking yards. tack on another $80 for that maybe.
    Also on idler arms, I have seen 2 different kinds for my 86. One is a real cheapy model and will loose it's bushing if you tow anything like a boat. The other is bullet proof and is visually way stronger looking then the other style. I replaced 2 of the cheap ones because of towing my boat. Latest one has no problems and holding up great.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Thats what i thought. The a/c has a control box. May just take the whole hvac box. The bezel is missing exept for the button. Its cheaper if i bundle parts. Also i work at a shop. Ive got orings for retrofit and freyon costs me nada. Worst case maybe 20 bucks for a couple pounds. Pennyman what about 2wd boxes? The yard truck is an auto 2wd like my truck. The gear box looked to be outboard like my truck.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if their both outboard, then it should work, but I have never heard of a 2wd truck with an outboard steering box.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    We are talking 2nd gen trucks. This is for my 94. Here's my steering sector:

IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg

Also I shouldn't need to modify anything in the steering system. I plan to take it loose at the relay rod where it connects to the pitman arm and swap that over and keep my existing suspension since mine is in great shape

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    if their both outboard, then it should work, but I have never heard of a 2wd truck with an outboard steering box.
    I thought I remember hearing somthing on that subject on the board somewhere... Oh well.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Well im goin out tomorrow to see if its still there. If it is im snagging everything

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    You getting the engine and trans too?

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Naw. Ive got a rebuilt engine and great trans

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Went today and it was untouched. Someone made off with the fan shroud tho.. Should have taken it since I'll need it for a/c. It's a totally different truck now that it's gutted. Me and my dad went. Showed up at 9. Left at 2. Mine has a good fender and a bed full of parts to convert. I've got the p/s pump with resevoir and lines still on it. Steering sector (outboard), compressor, condensor, accumulator, all lines, "Cooling unit" as it's written on the evaporator box, and all the wiring from the controller to the a/c button (in the control head) and from the controller, out the unit to the 2 switches and to the compressor and they hook to a blue connector on the driver inner fender. I took the dash harness just in case. I took the steering gear with the pitman arm since i know theyre a b**tch to pull in the yard without air tools and the pitman is really loose so I'm gona buy a new one before the install or I'd be doing the install tomorrow (payday is tuesday) I've got a box full of O-rings at work for retrofits so I'm gona change all the o-rings before doing the a/c and buy a new accumulator. I've also got some mint carpet that I'll be putting in tomorrow. May post pics tomorrow.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Here's what I've got so far. Got a new fender and carpet for the truck too. Put the fender on today and painted it with some duplicolor rattle can that's almost the exact same shade of green. It's tempting me to paint the whole truck with it one panel at a time. I'll end up doing a step by step for anyone who ever wants to add these parts to their trucks. I looked at it today. All the plugs under the dash for the A/C controller are there and you just pull the glove box out, pull the duct out, install cooling unit + body plugs and plug in the button and control unit. Pretty simple. The rest looks easy too. It will be easier to install p/s before a/c since the pressure lines run under the compressor. Don't let the pic fool you. The tool box is slam full with the condensor, evaporator, lines, harnesses/hardware and light stuff. The heavy / fluid filled stuff is in the bed.

IMAG0101.jpg