Array
    Status
    Menomonie, WI
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

I need some help please

I just bought a 90 mighty max with a 2.4 in it a month ago. it has 260000 miles i drive it to work and back home to save on fuel. well last week it started to act up as if it wasn't getting power and would run rough for a few miles than act normal but now it just runs rough all the time. i changed plugs wires fuel filter. still same problem. today i found a gas leak coming from the top of the gas tank off one of the steel lines from the fuel sending unit. I can't find the right fuel sending unit anywhere. what should i do? also could this be why its running rough? I really like this truck so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Menomonie, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    i fixed the gas leaking problem. but still my check engine light is on and still runs rough. any ideas where to start on fixing it?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You ca turn off the light. There is a tiny switch up behind the speedo on the right side.
    There should be a thread in here about turning it off. As for running rough look at the timing belt and make sure it's not coming apart yet. If it has not been changed by you, then you should do it. You may be on borrowed time with them. You could have a vacuum leek or the EGR is stuck open.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Menomonie, WI
    Vehicle

Engine

I.D.K.?
    I found a wire underneath the motor/ tranny that was snapped in two i re spliced it and that made the light turn off. The guy i bought it from had a shop fix all the timing. he even gave me the recipts. i am not sure what that wire went too but it made the check engine light turn off. it seems to have a little more power but it still seems a little rough. Egr?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    EGR. Exhaust gas recirculation valve.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Ya, anything would have more power if it stopped eating it's own Doo-Doo Thats what smog devices do, makes an engine re-eat it's own crap. lol
    Rough running sounds like an intake leak maybe. Got a vaccum gauge? Hook it up to the intake manifold to one of the brass tubes sticking out. If the needle is bouncing more then a couple psi's, probably have a leak around carb or smog stuff. Are your plugs and cap and rotor clean of crusty stuff? Plus you have 260,000 miles on your truck. This is alot of miles. Depending on what has been repaired, things are going to start needing repairs, lol. I can imagine it's time for a rebuild if compression is low or 10% difference bwteen adjascent cylinders. My truck has 260K too, the head was replaced 4 times, rings have never been changed. I can guarantee I will bust a ring very soon if I don't replace them.

Ethanol fuel sucks too, water water water in the fuel systems. Maybe a can of Seafoam next fillup and keep your oil clean. No more then 3000 miles between changes on that poor girl or she will bitch.
    Last edited by BradMph; 04-19-2013 at 09:51 PM.